• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Undercoating

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The new body has some underbody problems. A dab of rust here and there, sheets of steel that have been added for no apparent reason and areas with bare metal. I'm planning on removing the steel and doing any necessary patching. That will be followed by a high pressure soapy wash and rinse. Finish with a rust convertor and rattle can undercoating. Any experience with brands of undercoating? Interested in chip resistance and general staying power.

Bill

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill-That rotisserie is being put to good use, beat crawling around on the floor! When I was helping a friend with his restored Galaxie he gave me this to use on wheel wells, a little more $ than the regular rattle can. Permatex product 117EA item# 80072,
Good progress on the Durapine.
Al

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 34

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill, I've used Rustoleum rusty metal red oxide primer in a light coat followed with their truck bed liner. They have a rust converter that looks flat black also.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
If you can order from Wurth, they have some excellent undercoating and underbody protection sprays. POR-15 also sell some excellent underbody products. Some people consider them to be expensive, but quality costs.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Bill, a lot of Street Rod guys use trunk bed liner near the muffler/heat areas but rubberized undercoating everywhere else for the sound deadening effect. Not sure if Bed spray does much deadening of sound, but a good layer of rubberized undercoating does. Remember the old Spatter Trunk Paint? One guy used it because his welds were uglier than mine, and it covered well. The car was gray and the gray-white spatter looked nice...but I have no idea how well it worked...other than hiding his bad looking welds.