• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

U-joint Repair

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Some time back, someone was having a problem taking a u-joint apart. Can't remember exactly what the problem was, but I just had an experience that made me think of it.

I was taking u-joints apart on a mix-match type of mission. Found one in which the trunnion hit before the bearing cap cleared. Pushed it the other way, same problem. Had to remove a considerable amount of the trunnion body, used a die grinder with an abrasive cutoff wheel. One of the handiest tools you can have.

Bottom line, there are Ford u-joints that will not come apart. Believe it.

Bill

mikephillips

Donation Time
I've seen that before as well. I assume it's the result of years of yoke getting hit by bits of debris. Gradually bends the ends over and doesn't allow the cap enough room to come out. After removing the retaining clips I'v done the same thing, used a Dremel tool to remove enough for it to pass. Tap it up again the other end to allow a bit of room, grind back, then tap it out and do the other end. But be careful not to remove too much or the clip might not stay seated when reassembled.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, I might have my terminology screwed up. I removed material form the cross yoke, which was going to be thrown away, so I used the grinder without remorse or hesitation. I think if I had ground away the other part, I'd been into the clip groove. This one was not even close to coming out without surgery.

Bill

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
If one/both caps were fully removed, would you have enough play to get the cross shaft out? I've run into this several times and have had luck pushing the caps the rest of the way out with a drift, vice, hammer and the appropriate verbage. Once completely without cap interference, there has been enough to wiggle the cross shaft out. The last time was on a '63 Ranchereo. Thinking backwards, (where I'm at my best) someone had to install it without grinding it in.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If one/both caps were fully removed, would you have enough play to get the cross shaft out? I've run into this several times and have had luck pushing the caps the rest of the way out with a drift, vice, hammer and the appropriate verbage. Once completely without cap interference, there has been enough to wiggle the cross shaft out. The last time was on a '63 Ranchereo. Thinking backwards, (where I'm at my best) someone had to install it without grinding it in.

Yes. If you can move the caps the final 1/16" the cross will come out easily. I tried moving the caps with a pin punch. Guess I did not have the proper verbiage cause I had zero luck. But those babies were TIGHT.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Did you get it out? If not, do you intend on using the cross shaft again?

Oh yes, I got it out and I did not intend to reuse the cross. While I "trimmed up" the cross, I think there was enough meat left it could have been reused, especially in a light application like the Alpine. Really, at 10 dollars for a Ford kit, there is no excuse to reuse an old one. They are way too much work to attempt to save that piddling amount.

I posted this to let guys that are new to U-joint repair know that it IS possible to find one that will not come apart like they are supposed to and it is not something they are doing. Or more correctly, not doing.

Bill