• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Two Weber install questions

bkasl

Donation Time
Is the spacer between 32/36 carb to intake required? Is a heat shield with a downdraught required?

RootesRich

Donation Time
It's not required, but it you have one you don't need to modify the OEM manifold as the butterflies won't bottom out.

I don't run a heat shield, but I did paint the underside of the manifold white to reflect a bit of heat from the headers. This is an old school hot rodders trick I read about years ago. At some point I will be getting my headers jet coated.

bkasl

Donation Time
When you say bottom out, I am assuming due to enlarging the S4 mainfold to match the 32/26 openings?

Henry K

Donation Time
Weber conversion questions

I bought a 1967 SV basket case and am in the final stages of assembling the motor. I rebuilt the Strombergs but decided to go with a 32/36 DGV Weber instead. I got a manifold from Pierce and put the manifold and Weber on the car (still not ready to start it yet....more assembly is required.) However, the carb throttle lever is aligned well below the firewall bracket designed to hold the aft side of the linkage. I haven't made the new linkage yet, but am wondering whether a spacer between the carb and the manifold to raise the carb would be recommended. Any advice will be most appreciated. Thanks.

Henry K

AlsPine

Donation Time
Jumpinjan,
I pm'd you, but your mailbox is full.
What do you charge for your linkage kit?
You can PM me the price.
Thanks

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
32/36 match to manifold

Okay, after all this time I'm determined to do the changeout. Instead of goofing around with the used 32/36 I have, I bought a new one so I can start fresh. I also have the spacer and will measure for a cleaner when it's installed.

Would someone take a look at the photos at the bottom of this webpage

http://tubbs.cc/alpine

and confirm what hoses off of the 1725 go where on the manifold, and what needs to be blocked off? My brake booster still needs to be rebuilt but I do plan on using it, so I'll need that hose connected in addition to anything else.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
B is the booster nipple
C is the PCV valve and connects to the lifter cover.
A & D are the manifold heat riser inlet and outlet (you can leave disconnected)
E & F are series IV brace and auto-stepdown linkage (leave them alone).
Weber_manifold.jpg

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Here's how the linkage is installed
I make the linkage kits and sell for $75. All parts are included, even the screws to fasten the brace to the firewall.
$top_view_linkage.jpg

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
You will need the spacer for sure, if you don't use one you will have a heating problem with the carb. IE vapor lock and fuel boil. :cool:

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
Weber Manifold install

Jan,

I have your linkage kit (I bought it from you a couple of years ago when I was FIRST going to do this intall!).

To follow up with your comments on my photo, don't the connectors at A and D have to be plugged? (and if so, how?). Or do they not interconnect with the fuel passages?

Bill

Ragg Mopp

Donation Time
A and D are the water passages and do not connect to the fuel side (unless it was full of water and froze and cracked inward at some time). Put pressure on it and if it holds, you can leave it both sides open.

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
Great!

That was dumb of me. Yep, I ran water through it and checked... no leaks, so that parts good. All I need to do now is figure out how to get a connector attached to the manifold for the valve cover connection and I should be good to go for the next step.

Thanks!!:D

RootesRich

Donation Time
That was dumb of me. Yep, I ran water through it and checked... no leaks, so that parts good. All I need to do now is figure out how to get a connector attached to the manifold for the valve cover connection and I should be good to go for the next step.

Thanks!!:D
Bill,
There is no hose that runs from the manifold to the flame trap on the oil filler cap (valve cover). The flame trap hose runs to the DGV air cleaner (there's a hole in the baseplate for a pvc elbow connection).

Run the hose from the PCV valve that screws into the manifold to the tappet cover on the pax side of the engine block.

If you need pics of my hose setup, PM me your e-mail address.

Bill Tubbs

Donation Time
Bill,
There is no hose that runs from the manifold to the flame trap on the oil filler cap (valve cover). The flame trap hose runs to the DGV air cleaner (there's a hole in the baseplate for a pvc elbow connection).

Run the hose from the PCV valve that screws into the manifold to the tappet cover on the pax side of the engine block.

If you need pics of my hose setup, PM me your e-mail address.

Rich, it's been a while but now that I have the Weber installed and the car running decently, I'm starting to fill in the blanks. Before I spend a lot of time trying to cobble something together, can you tell me if there is already a pvc elbow connection that fits the carb baseplate for hooking up to the valve cover?

Bill