• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Two for the price of one.............?

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
My RHD export SIV GT has the original Solex carb. and barrel type filter housing. Fitted between the two is a moulded rubber duct which the parts book suggests is a one piece item.

As you can see from the photos mine has a join with male and female halves which was previously bound with electrical tape. Can anyone tell me if theirs is similar and what is used to correctly seal the join?

Thanks, Lance.

Attachments

• Snorkel01.JPG
    Snorkel01.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Snorkel02a.jpg
    Snorkel02a.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Snorkel03a.jpg
    Snorkel03a.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Snorkel04.JPG
    Snorkel04.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 28

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Lance,

Fancy bumping into you :) . That is a very rare air cleaner setup. I wonder if they were an option or used in dusty environments. Are the two pieces supposed to be sealed? Is there any remnants of a sealant? They may have been a push in type setup for easier access under the air cleaner. If you did want to seal it, you could use a silicon type sealant or even a foam/rubber seal may work (fuel and heat resistant of course), but not really factory. Do you have the air cleaner canister as well? Can you posted some pictures of your car as well?

Regards, Robin.

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
G'day Rob,

Yeah, spooky huh............?

The two rubber halves have been moulded to key together and appear to have previously been joined with contact glue and/or electrical tape. I was hoping someone with the same ducting could shed some light on the OE style of jointing, although as I said the parts book shows the item as all one piece.

I have the drum that contains the paper filter element, ( now freshly re finished in the correct hammertone silver), and assume that this filtration system was fitted to cars sold in areas where unsealed roads would be encountered. The home market cars had those mesh pancake affairs that really only stop small birds from being sucked in, not very effective!

Cheers, Lance.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Didn't they offer the same sort of air cleaner on all the Series III GT cars?

Tullamore

Donation Time
I never knew anything like that existed. Mine didn't have any air cleaning on it when I got it and my Solex has finally fallen apart so I will need to upgrade for this year.

64beam

Donation Time
G'day Rob,

Yeah, spooky huh............?

The two rubber halves have been moulded to key together and appear to have previously been joined with contact glue and/or electrical tape. I was hoping someone with the same ducting could shed some light on the OE style of jointing, although as I said the parts book shows the item as all one piece.

I have the drum that contains the paper filter element, ( now freshly re finished in the correct hammertone silver), and assume that this filtration system was fitted to cars sold in areas where unsealed roads would be encountered. The home market cars had those mesh pancake affairs that really only stop small birds from being sucked in, not very effective!

Cheers, Lance.

Hopefully someone can answer your question. Have you tried around the local club? I think I can vaguely remember seeing one Alpine that has this type setup and that may have even been your car. If you don't pull it apart often, I would seal it up with a silicon sealant so that it can't be seen externally. My Alpine originally had the flat Tecalemit metal air cleaner assembly that bolted to the rocker cover. There must have been a few options for air cleaners.

Regards, Robin.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Somewhere in my dim and aching brain I recall reading about a set up very much like that one (remember, I'm going on memory here) and it was for a Series 3 or IV and was an option for very dusty climates. I belive it was fitted to the Solex and did go to a small air filter canister. I'll have to look around & see if I have any documentation on it.
Hope that helps!
Steve

64beam

Donation Time
Somewhere in my dim and aching brain I recall reading about a set up very much like that one (remember, I'm going on memory here) and it was for a Series 3 or IV and was an option for very dusty climates. I belive it was fitted to the Solex and did go to a small air filter canister. I'll have to look around & see if I have any documentation on it.
Hope that helps!
Steve

Hi,

I seem to remember seeing a picture of a similar setup with the twin Zenith's as well. I wonder if there is any information factory options available? Would these have been a factory or dealer option?

Regards, Robin.

skywords

Donation Time
Aren't the production drawings archived in England somewhere by an organization? I seem to remember that. Is there a part number moulded into it?

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Gentlemen,

In no particular order:

P. Scofield: Um, no, I want the car to remain the way it was in 1964.

Robin: Yeah, the IVa Alpines (at least the Aust. delivered ones I've seen) used the flat Tecalemit affair with the fairy floss cartridge, same as the Mk. III Humber Vogue.

Steve: Thanks, some SIII (Zenith and Solex) and SIV (Solex) used the drum style filter housing with 2 different styles of rubber elbow to connect depending on the carb/s. It seems they were fitted to export cars or may have been on option for home market cars that were likely to travel on unsealed roads.

Skywords: No part no. on my rubber elbow. I think you're referring to the Rootes archive centre in the UK? As I mentioned, my parts book illustrates the elbow as a one piece item. Often the book lists specific part numbers for different delivery destinations (Sth Africa for instance) but not in the case of this part, nor if it was Tourer or GT only.

Cheers, Lance.

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Yes Kevin, except my part #367 is made up of two sections, as per my pics. I'm beginning to think Rootes made a running change to the mould, there's no way to insert the metal support frame into the moulding without making it come apart.

My cars chassis # is B9407893 making it close to the beginning of the SIVa's, my guess is they had issues with the elbow collapsing due to the incredible induction properties of the Solex fitted to the 1592 and fitted the frame inside to prevent same :rolleyes:

I'd just like to know what was originally fitted to seal the join.................?

coolcat

Donation Time
two for the price

I have one, It came on my late series 3 with the single solex carb.
There is no part number on it. The two halves have a piece of cloth tape similar to duct tape about ¾†wide around it and painted black to match. I’m sure it’s original. Ed.

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Hey Ed,

Thanks for the feedback, that's the best (well actually it's the only), report we've had so far about another two piece elbow. I would have expected you guys in the States to have come across this fitting before, given the amount of Alpines you received and the dry climate some of them were delivered to.

I guess the dubious performance of the Solex, leading to Weber and other conversions over the years has meant much of this stuff was thrown away long ago.......................

coolcat

Donation Time
Hey Ed,

Thanks for the feedback, that's the best (well actually it's the only), report we've had so far about another two piece elbow. I would have expected you guys in the States to have come across this fitting before, given the amount of Alpines you received and the dry climate some of them were delivered to.

I guess the dubious performance of the Solex, leading to Weber and other conversions over the years has meant much of this stuff was thrown away long ago.......................
My car is a GT I think they were used only on the GT's Regards Ed