• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Twin Weber downdrafts

Jaars

Gold Level Sponsor
In the past I took over lots of stuff from an old Alpine racer. Included were brand new Weber ICH downdraft carburetors, I would like to use these on my 1725 engine. They mount beautifully on a S2 manifold. He had also an old set mounted that way, so I believe it can work. (Btw Ian, you have the valve cover of "the Grape" and the car itself went to Steve S. friend Shawn)

With the old style breather vent on the valve cover, the only problem left is where to hook up the brake booster vacuum?

I found a "vacuum and brake booster port" at www.speedway motors.com. This appears now to me as the most elegant solution, to replace the tiny port at the bottom with this double ported outlet. It will be totally symmetrical, which helps with tuning.

Anyone has done this? What’s your thought?

(Another possibility is a S5 manifold with some custom made pieces to set the carb vertical,from the slanted side.)
Thanks, Robert

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Robert,

Did that answer about the S3 manifold help? Let me know when you start it. I am really interested in the results you get with these carbs.

They are a heck of a bargin and they look like the twin downdraft zeniths so it isn't too much of a detraction from the original look.

Steve

S3GoldGT

Donation Time
I also like the idea of using twin ICH in keeping with my original twin zeniths. Has anyone done this? does anyone have the mounting size shape of the ICH?
Ian

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
If I can post some of Robert's photos he has sent me I will do it this evening.

The 34ICH is a direct fit to the existing down draft Zenith's manifold. The only complexity is building the linkage - which Robert has done with parts from Redline.

I believe ICH's can be bought for about 125.00 each. If you are willing to skip the choke you can get the 34's, known as 34 ICT, for about 110.00.

Robert hasn't run his carbs yet. I have no reason to believe that their would be a problem but I am dying to find out the results. If it works this is a really cheap solution which visually looks like the Zeniths.

Steve

napa 1

Donation Time
It would be really great if we could have a write up from Robert of how he made the conversion. This would be a most excellent solution to the problem of wanting to run webers, but wanting the sexy twin zenith look.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Not sure if the original air cleaners would fit. I am thinking they might be close.... maybe a little modification.

Attached are a few of the images Robert sent.

Steve