• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

turn signal

SteveSeriesV

Silver Level Sponsor
I removed the turn signals to install new kit from SS. Put it all back together and re-installed on column... wouldn't work. Tried 2 more times with same results. Would anyone have a picture of the unit or any experience rebuilding? Should have included that it was a Series V

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
do you mean the turn signal switch on the steering column?

I have a few pics on my webshots. This pic should take you to the album.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
My car came with non-working turn signals. The previous owner said he recently rebuilt the switch using the SS kit, but it still didn't work. I took it apart and figured out why.

He had two problems. First, the metal pivot on which the switch rotates didn't hold the switch tight enough to allow it to connect the contacts. I ran a bolt through there and cranked it down pretty good. It flared out the pivot better than the PO and his drift could. The switch still turns freely, and it's tight enough to make the contacts. I left the bolt in there without a washer, so I might check it one day.

Second, the u-shaped brass thing that connects the two brass nubs to bridge the circuit was stuck flat against the housing. I pulled it off and stretched the spring beneath it to give the spring back its springiness. Now the spring presses the brass dealie far enough to bridge the contacts.

I don't have pics handy, but it looks like Todd has some good ones to offer.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve, Did you re-install the coil spring that pushes the brass slider piece onto the stationary contacts? There's really not much else to the assembly other than the sliding brass and the contacts.

Tom