• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Turn signal / Horn / dash light issue

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
The problem started when I had no dash lights, and no turn signals. The horn worked like it should.
Step 1, fix the turn signal, which hasn't worked for as long as I can remember.
I took apart the steering column, etc, and replaced the plastic piece that holds the turn signal lever. I was careful to put the spring and little brass piece back exactly as it should be. I had also previously installed Joe Parlanti's LED lights- turn signal brake lights, running lights, but not the flasher.
There was no flasher in the socket behind the dash. I installed the new LED flasher.
I also replaced the 2 fuses under the bonnet.
Now, when I turn on the ignition the horn beeps as if it's controlled by the flasher.
I now have the steering wheel and horn ring removed. All that's left connected is the wiring for the turn signal lever.
Flipping the turn signal lever does not make a difference. Horn still sounds
I have the SV wiring diagram printed, but can't see anything wrong.
What the heck is going on?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sounds like the horns' purple+black wire is connected to your turn signal circuit. When the ignition switch is in the run position, the green wires to the horns are always supplying +12V. The horn's purple+black wire is normally an open circuit, so the horns don't sound. Grounding the purple+black wire is what sounds the horns. Normally the grounding occurs when you press the horn ring. The wire seems to be getting grounded when you engage the turn signal lever.

Mike

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
The purple -black wires, and others, look to be connected correctly. I was moving wires around under the dash looking for disconnected wires or other anomalies. Then the turn signals started working. I took the turn signal mechanism, which was totally disconnected from the steering column, and touched the metal to the metal on the steering column. The turn signals stopped working and the horn honked.
I also noticed when the horn honked the tach needle shot up and down.
So I started looking under the dash again, then I couldn't get the turn signals to work.
I was frustrated by then and spent the rest of the day working on installing Miata seats I just bought.
I'll look again tomorrow. And I'll look closely at grounding. As I've read in many posts about electrical issues, quite often it's a grounding issue.

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've resolved the turn signal issue. Turned out being bad connections at the fuse box. Also, I think I had the turn signal mechanism put together wrong.
It was putting 12 volts thru the mount.
I think I fried the flasher in the process, but that's easy to replace.

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Mike. I saw that on one of your previous posts. It wouldn't arrive until I'm already in Bowling Green. I sent a message to Joe P. asking him to bring one.