• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Turbo Charged 2.0L Zetec in a Sunbeam Alpine

afssanders

Donation Time
I recently found this website while looking for some hard to find objects for my Sunbeam. I'm looking for the plastic bezels that go around the switches on the dash. There are 3 of them and I have two, but am always looking for cleaner ones.
I just thought I might share my project with all of you. I'll have it on the road in primer for Back to the 50's weekend. It's June 18th - 21st The next year (2010)it'll be completely finished. I have to wait for the mud and primer to stop shrinking and work the bugs out of it.

Enjoy your tour.

http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers#100309

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
project

Fantastic work. Can't wait to see the rest of it. Keep posting. Sorry I can't help w/ the items you need.

afssanders

Donation Time
Challenges to come.

Fantastic work. Can't wait to see the rest of it. Keep posting. Sorry I can't help w/ the items you need.

Thank you. I will keep it up. If you go to the last page (5) on the website soon to be page 6, you'll see the most recent pictures of the car.

My next big challenge will be chopping about 14" out of a 88 Audi windshield to fit the removable hard top and soft top, then making new posts and header to have a decent transition from windshield to side glass.

link to seriously modified 63 Sunbeam Alpine

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I love what you did with the body. I had always dreamed about widening the body so that the track would be wider. It will be a fantastic handling car. It looks real agressive too. Love it.

Jose :)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wow! What a lot of good work. That hood looks like it was stitched together like Frankensteins Monster. Looking great and will be the only one in the world like.

Got some questions. What's with the "lawn sprinkler" boxed up under the dash? I thought it was an intercooler, but you've got one up front. Two intercoolers? Why did you extend the wheelbase? Is that nitrous plumbing under the intake? What's the "Y" shaped plenum? Is it a part of this project? What is the tranny and bellhousing? What is your projected HP? Why did you elect to go with a 4 banger after getting the width to install a variety of bent eights? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you did it this way, just curious. Very refreshing to see someone have the guts, talent and integrity to do something so far off the beaten path.

Did you fabricate the exhausts headers? Why did you ditch the first one?

Its interesting to see the "opportunities" that are solved when the body is widened, the ones that are created and the ones that remain. Are you going to be able to have a cowl brace on the left side?

Bill

afssanders

Donation Time
6" wider

I love what you did with the body. I had always dreamed about widening the body so that the track would be wider. It will be a fantastic handling car. It looks real agressive too. Love it.

Jose :)

Thank you.
I got the first car from from a junk yard in AZ. While me and my Dad were looking for some seats for a project I was finishing up. The Sunbeam was sitting on top of a ford conversion van with the tire flattened. I knew I wanted that car, so I told my Dad to find out about it. Long story short it ended up in my garage.
I liked the car a lot, but every morning when I walked by it on my way to work I noticed there was something off. One day it dawned on me. It needs to be wider. My Dad was in town, so we went to go get another one for parts.

afssanders

Donation Time
Questions

Wow! What a lot of good work. That hood looks like it was stitched together like Frankensteins Monster. Looking great and will be the only one in the world like.

Got some questions. What's with the "lawn sprinkler" boxed up under the dash? I thought it was an intercooler, but you've got one up front. Two intercoolers? Why did you extend the wheelbase? Is that nitrous plumbing under the intake? What's the "Y" shaped plenum? Is it a part of this project? What is the tranny and bellhousing? What is your projected HP? Why did you elect to go with a 4 banger after getting the width to install a variety of bent eights? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you did it this way, just curious. Very refreshing to see someone have the guts, talent and integrity to do something so far off the beaten path.

Did you fabricate the exhausts headers? Why did you ditch the first one?

Its interesting to see the "opportunities" that are solved when the body is widened, the ones that are created and the ones that remain. Are you going to be able to have a cowl brace on the left side?

Bill

Thank you.
The hood was widened 6" and stretched 2-7/8" I didn't want to run bumpers, so I moved a bunch of stuff forward to eliminated that shelf that is left behind after removing the front bumper.

The sprinkler is just that it sprays water down on a water to air intercooler core that the air goes through. The one in the front cools the water that sprays down on the other.

I simply didn't like the way it looked to me. In my opinion the car was just too narrow, so I widened it and the other car determined the width.

Not nitrous, but water injection for high boost range. It's a two stage water injection system. I have 9.6 to 1 compression on that motor and the way I figure it. Anything above 4 pounds of boost on pump gas is going to cause me to retard my timing to eliminate the pinging. I don't want to do that, so water/alcohol is the ticket.

I was wondering what you were talking about. No I had to put a new furnace in over the summer. I forgot about that picture.

The tranny is a T9. The bell housing is a aftermarket deal made for kit cars. I heard they sell one now that goes from Zetec to T-5 like the mustang run. That bad boy would take some serious abuse.

I'll keep the horse power around 225, so I don't blow the engine up. I didn't put fancy rods or bolt into the engine, plus the tranny can't take much more then. The engine a Ford crate motor believe it or not. It puts out 136hp stock.

I was going to put the good old all American 302 in it and be done with it, but my Dad said it would be kind of cool if you put a 4 cylinder in there. I thought about it and decided I'd do that. I went in head first and didn't think it through, so I had some serious problems along the way. The power was the first. The turbo solved that one. The fact that the engine was for a FWD car was big. I found a company making the bell housing and another on the other side of the country rebuilding the trannys. Fuel injection another problem. A company in Canada makes a sweet ECU for cars, trucks, planes, boats anythng that has fuel management issues. The intake manifold was another hurdle. They just don't have decent high performance parts for Ford Zetecs. All these problems made taking the ugly out of the car is the easiest part.

I did about about half the work there. I found the headers on Ebay and cut them up a bit.

I have had to make or modify a few things a couple of times for this car. As I go along if there is something I don't care for sometimes I have start over until I can live with it. I try not to go to far off my original plan, so the project gets finished though.

I have both cowl braces installed.

I think that's it, so thank you for all compliments. They're much appreciated. I have to go work on the best for a bit now. I'll keep posting imagines.

skywords

Donation Time
Nice job!! makes my Q4 look pretty simple. You have more energy than I. What brand of corn flakes do you eat?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, I think if we combine our efforts and quit wasting time sleeping, we might be able to equal his output.

Bill

skywords

Donation Time
I am afraid to say they are the most recent for I have not worked on it for some months. I have taken a job driving buses and between that and my airplane business there is not much time left. I wish this darn economy would pick back up so I can go back to being semi retired.

The car was chemically stripped and walnut shelled on a rotissary. Way too much work.

Bill
I don't think we would make it even not sleeping, that's why I wanted the corn flake brand :D

afssanders

Donation Time
I am afraid to say they are the most recent for I have not worked on it for some months. I have taken a job driving buses and between that and my airplane business there is not much time left. I wish this darn economy would pick back up so I can go back to being semi retired.

The car was chemically stripped and walnut shelled on a rotissary. Way too much work.

Bill
I don't think we would make it even not sleeping, that's why I wanted the corn flake brand :D

Well. If you do anymore work to it I'd be interesting in seeing it when you do. Cars like ours are not seen very often and should be shared with others. I built Street Rods for 10 years for a living and never once even saw a Sunbeam.

I do have breakfast, just not corn flakes. I've been working on the car quite a bit lately, but the thing sat for 3 years after three solid months of work back in 2004. My Dad would come and visit and ask me all the time hows the car coming I would say I haven't done anything to it. I didn't really like the way that made me feel, so I am determined to stay on it until it's done. In fact I just got in from working on it tonight. Today I finished up fitting the hood and welded up some other odds and ends. Tomorrow I'll be fabbing up the head light bezels out of cold roll, then hammer welding them to the car. Then will fit in through the backside.

Probably the most modified Sunbeam in history.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I like the choice of powerplant, I always maintained that the car didn't really need anything bigger than a modern 4cyl. My normally aspirated Focus has 170bhp stock and pulls a 2700lb car around pretty easily, a 2200 lb car with 170-200 bhp should be plenty quick. I still think an earlier Sunbeam Lotus would be my idea of a good match up of engines....the 2 liter or 2.2 Lotus would have plenty to make the Alpine a serious performer.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I just looked through your complete picture history and it is very impressive :cool: . I can't wait to see your progress once you have got a bit more time to work on it. Keep up the excellent work.

Regards, Robin.

afssanders

Donation Time
Hi,

I just looked through your complete picture history and it is very impressive :cool: . I can't wait to see your progress once you have got a bit more time to work on it. Keep up the excellent work.

Regards, Robin.

Thank you. I work on it quite a bit. I just finished up loading more pictures of it. I fabricated up and installed my headlight bezels today. The headlight goes in from the backside now. 14hrs of work went into these buggers. I also did away with the lead seam next to them. I noticed it was bleeding through a bit, so better safe then sorry.

Enjoy

Here a link to my new page for of more pictures.
http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers/100348

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Ok whilst I don't think our Alpines look too narrow, the widened one does actually look good. Nice job on the wheel/tire/brake package too. Sweet. Is it close enough to the leaf spring? :)