• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

turbo 2.3 Who's done it?

BLISTIC

Donation Time
I am looking at several different options. I have several engine at my disposal.
One being a Turbo 2.3.
I really kinda like the engine. i had one in a t-bird many years ago and it ran like a scalded cat.
I don't see any major issues transplanting one of these.
Any thoughts?

pete

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
As far as I know, no one on the board has one. I do know of two successful examples. By successful, I mean on the street. One was done by a guy on the left hand coast, used to hang out near the turboford site, posted under the name "Turboalpine". He also sold reground cams. You might try getting in touch with him there. The other was a car that showed up at Invasion I, haven't heard or seen anything of the car before or since. He was a serviceman, stationed at Wright Pat. Hell, maybe they are one and the same, but don't think so.

It can be done without a bunch of mutilation of the Alpine and can include an intercooler placed in front of the radiator. It is the only way to go if you want a big bunch of power without cutting up the car.

Bill

BLISTIC

Donation Time
Hmm i found something. Someone that had done the swap is going to trade me the parts out.

So i will document it from that point. So far the build is looking like this.

FI 2.3 Turbo/intercooled. t-5 (v-6 model) 3.55 8.8 w disc.
front end will get wilwood 12.5 disc and caliphers.

2.3 will have a port job job, adjustable cam gear, and a little custom exhaust work.
If it runs anything like my T-bird ....I will be callign the tower here at Mirmar...."Ah yeah tower this is ghost rider...request permission for a flyby" :D

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Is the V6 T5 currently bolted to the 2.3? I'm interested in what has to be done to mate them up.

Bill

norville

Donation Time
Bill, I was thinking of you when I saw these this morning. funny the subject should pop up... no affiliation. I will pick it up for you if you get either of them. I live in mountaintop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-3-Ford-Turbo-T5-Bellhousing_W0QQitemZ170318814630QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item170318814630&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-3-Ford-T5-Mustang-Bellhousing-Cable-Operated_W0QQitemZ170318816409QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item170318816409&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318

bob

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Gee, Bob, free delivery??

At this point I'm not interested in going this route for any of my nightmar, er ah dreams. Just trying to sort out how all the Ford parts might fit together. From my experience with the M5OD ratios, I think the V6 trans (which has very similar ratios) would be an excellent choice for the Ford 4's. Much better than the 4 cylinder T5's.

Still thinking about meeting early summer?
Bill

norville

Donation Time
yes/no, I'm obsessing over it. I want that motor so bad I can taste it. With the new developments. I really need to keep my focus on needs/wants. I may set up a payment plan with you. Believe me , I've done my research on most of your build. I don't need to drive it to want it. Just let me know when your ready to pull it. ?I can drop off a down payment, to keep you moving on your project. The big caveat would be how well this motor drives runs. And how unemployed I am. :( I still may get your motor and put it on a stand until things settle down.

My money makers aren't making any money for me. I had one of my JD tractors for sale for 2months I finally got an offer.. I ended up trading it for an engine hoist, 2 position band saw, and a 225 arc welder..

sorry for the hijack

bob

BLISTIC

Donation Time
BTW here is what I starting with.
attachment.php

attachment.php