• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Trunk Spring Covers

Buckeye64

Donation Time
Does anybody know when Rootes started to deleted the spring covers from the production line?
I know my 65 SIV Alpine has the covers. Did this happen when the SV production started?
Was this a cost saving measure that Chrysler pushed on Rootes?

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
My Alpine V had the spring covers:cool:, and my MKI Tiger has them as well!
The Alpine is in the middle of production of the SV!:cool:

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Well, someone must have read all the posts. There is a set of springs with those elusive covers for sale on e-bay right now. Item # 250232363309

63-WRAY

spring covers

Hey Buckeye, they were on the one I got in Jersey and actually I think they are more like a canvas. Nope just went up in the attic and looked at them. They took pieces of the vinyl and turned it inside out and put three staples through to hold them togeather. Mad John.

gordonra

Donation Time
I wonder if the purpose is to reduce noise? My SV had panels in the truck that covered the takns and springs. Not sure if those were standard, or a previous owner's work.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
It's the same vinyl used for our door panels and seats. I think it was just a nice touch from the factory to hide the unsightly springs and / or prevent someone's finger from possibly getting pinched in one.

mikephillips

Donation Time
The originals I have aren't the same material as the seats and panels, it's embossed the same but a much lighter weight. Sort of in between the seat material and what was used to cover those corner trim pieces on the A post next to the dash.

Buckeye64

Donation Time
Question still stands though, when did Roores stop putting them on the Alpines and Tigers?
I know it's somewhere in the SV productions but can't tell when it happened.
Was it cost savings or did Rootes just run out of them and never reordered.