• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Trunk/Boot Tool Kit

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Now that a lot of folks will be on the road, some for a pretty long distance, What are you carrying in your tool boxes, or boot emergency kits ?

Tom j

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I make it a point to carry everything except what is needed to fix the problem at hand.
Last time out, it was the distributor rotor. Brass bit became separated from the plastic bit. Now I carry a spare that I'll never use.
Also, I do carry an adjustable fan belt. Now.

Ken

Pumpkin

Donation Time
tools

I make it a point to carry everything except what is needed to fix the problem at hand.
Last time out, it was the distributor rotor. Brass bit became separated from the plastic bit. Now I carry a spare that I'll never use.
Also, I do carry an adjustable fan belt. Now.

Ken

Having gone thru about 15 years of The Pumpkin, I have always carried, enough tools to pull the engine/ tranny or brake shoes. I used to carry an expanable fan belt, lasted about 2 miles in hot weather,, never again, I have two spare belts, coil, old style points and fuel pump. Coveralls, gloves for hot parts.
Under with the spare is a set of sockets, rags and in the left side wall , hand cleaner, wd-40, silicone spray and of course all that parafinallia to waterless wash and wax her before a show. 3 quarts oil, both type 30 # for the tranny and 20-50# for the engine.

The wife has to ride on the boot basket and is happy to..i think?:)

Most will say why so much? We travel in some pretty remote and hostile areas, no towns for 50-60 or more miles cell phones are crap in high desert and mountains.
Well, you may not have to pack all this, but one tow bill for 300 was enough to make the change...
Whew no wonder I am not getting very high gas milage..:eek:
Take what you think you need. depending on your traveled areas..
Our 15.2p
Chuck

O

odl21

yeah, pretty much everything. full tool kit, wd40, latex gloves, towls, fan belt, water neck, silicone gasket, wire, fuses, bulbs, ir thermometer, water.

basically, tons of s-h-i-t.

the only thing i don't carry is spare gas which i should because i'm constantly 'almost' running out of gas and desparately looking for a gas station.

65beam

Donation Time
tool kit

here in ohio we carry our cell phone and our hagerty insurance card to call for rollback service.also our AAA card good for a 100 mile tow.

skywords

Donation Time
A card marked AARP Motoring Club, another one marked VISA, and a cell phone.

I'm with you Nick I gave up trying to prepare for a road side emergency long ago. With the advent of the cell phone who needs to carry another 100 lbs of stuff you might need. I have a employee that carries water, food, flares, complete tool kit, spare gen, water pump, rocker arms, pistons, sleeping bags, spot light, flash light, rain gear, brake shoes, oil, steering fluild, glycol, tire irons, wire, fuses, switches, belts, hoses, cap, rotor, spark plugs, gaskets, cb radio, weather radio, firearms, etc... This is no joke. A real survivalist.

We were working off site oneday and he was wearing a very peculiar jacket with his usual pith helmet. I asked about the jacket and he said it was a WWI surplus French military motorcyclists jacket. If he was'nt such a damn good mechanic.:rolleyes:

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Stuff in the boot

I agree with the cel phone, Hagerty's card and the Visa. I carry basic tools in this real cool roll pack I found at Hot August Nights last year. Fuses, spare wire and connectors. I never leave without water if I plan to leave city limits. Fire Extinguisher on the roll bar. Air in the spare.

I also carry a digital voice recorder. I use it for everything from making notes for the book I've been writing since Reagan was president, recording information at accident scenes, etc. I use it all the time.

O

odl21

yes, i also carry a credit card, cell phone and breakdown/recovery insurance.

but if i can fix something in 10 minutes that trumps waiting for a tow truck and getting towed home!

so far, touch wood, i've never needed to call anyone up, but several times i've had to fix something up...

i'm actually pretty surprised how reliable my tiger is compared with old bombs i've owned in the past :D

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor

That sounds eerily familiar.:eek:

Tom j

65beam

Donation Time
tool kit

one thing i always carry with me is a TIGER TOM COAT HANGER EMERGENCY THOUGHT GENERATOR. think about all the uses for a coat hanger. it's endless.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
tools

Some of you can go with some of us,, then find out how far you can throw the cel phone to hear some body. I mean a 100 miles . I am glad I don't live ina town ship like the most of you right coasters. :D Sounds like most of you don't even leave civilization.. We get in to canyons the sun does'nt like,, but gollee the scenery.

Ah the life.!! You all have a great weekend,, gotta go fishin, Tuna, Salmon then the lowley trout..
Hmmmna
CHuck

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Chuck, I feel your pain. Last weekend, my oldest son and I drove 460 miles round trip, (stayed in the same state) just to climb Idaho's highest peak @ 12662 ft. Cell was useless except for a short distance. Common tools and most common failure items are a must, like extra belts, fluids, the handy coat hanger mentioned earlier, and my all time favorite, duct tape. A tow strap long enough to reach where I tend to get stuck. I finally figured out to drive in two wheel drive until I got stuck and then put it in four wheel drive to back out.....took me some serious diggin to figure that out....and not the first time either.

I travel out of the (local) area quite a bit and ALWAYS carry equipment that will allow me to spend the night, should I have to. Especially, Sept - April. I got seriously snowed on just outside West yellowstone on the 15th of August a couple of years ago and was glad I had packed a few things along. I maintain a survival kit in each vehicle that goes out of town. Call me anal, but I'll make it when others haven't. I don't care about comfort, just life. Sorry for the rant...you stumbled on one of my favorite subjects....besides airplanes...

BTW, Chuck, I'll give send you a note this spring before I make my annual pilgrimage to the Portland Swap Meet in April. Maybe I can check out your sunbeam. I hope to fly to McMinville (sp?) late next month to check out the Evergreen museum and then to Lincoln City to see a great friend, and Redmond to see my sister.

Weekend is coming and that means putting the jet boat in the water and scouting the snake river for other spots to whack a duck or a goose this fall. My labrador is gettin' itchy when she watches them land in the stubble field behind the house. Maybe we'll find one of those lowly trout you mention. I'm almost out of smoked fish. P.