• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Trunk/Boot Handle

67Survivor

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

I have just noticed an anomaly with my 67' SeriesV. There is no handle on the boot or trunk lid. My license plate is held on by a rather dull looking bracket that is held on by four bolts. The Alpine photos I see all have a small chrome lift handle on the boot lid. I currently have the car in a body shop getting some work done including a repair of the trunk. I am wondering if I should have these holes filled and then redrill when I find an appropriate handle/ license plate bracket, or is it at all possible that this car was this way from the factory? I just want to make it right.
Thank you,
Rob

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Look at this (big) pic for an example of handle plus below-bumper plate placement. This is not my car, but it's the way mine is arranged. (My plate hangs straight down, instead of angled out.) I like the clean look, but you do run the risk of a plate scrape on certain driveway curb cuts, if there's a significant dip. You can usually turn 'early' and avoid the dip, so not a real worry.

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/plugins/p17_image_gallery/images/571.jpg

Hopefully this shows up as a link, rather than a huge embedded image...

Oldskool979

Donation Time
If you would prefer to keep the plate on the boot lid both the lift handle and a license plate mount are available from Sunbeam Specialties. Parts TT61 & TT62.

67Survivor

Donation Time
Thanks for the info guys. I sure like that clean look. I did the under the bumper for my front plate and it looks sharp. The police in this area will use any excuse to pull us over and partially hiding the rear plate would be a great excuse for them. I actually was stopped once because my plate was very slightly scratched from the hitch on my boat trailer. I think I will order up the parts from Rick at SS. Thank you guys.
Rob

67Survivor

Donation Time
So after having the back of the car redone, I think it would be a shame to hide any more of the car than I have to. Which means that I want to go for the "Clean look" and mount the plate under the bumper. We are required by law to have lights on our plates where I live... ask me how I know... Do any of you have some great examples of a lit under mount plate setup?

alpine_64

Donation Time
So after having the back of the car redone, I think it would be a shame to hide any more of the car than I have to. Which means that I want to go for the "Clean look" and mount the plate under the bumper. We are required by law to have lights on our plates where I live... ask me how I know... Do any of you have some great examples of a lit under mount plate setup?
If you have a series V with the twin plate lamps you could make a plinth to mount them facing down to illuminate the plate.
You could just flip the existing mounting bracket but you'll get the unsightly wiring facing up and perhaps allow water into the lamps.

65beam

Donation Time
handle

If you have the license plate lamps in the bracket mounted on the body and not in the bumper you can leave the bracket and flip the lights over. If the bumper is mounted correctly which means when looking down you have maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch spacing between the body and the bumper you're not going to see the wires. A little common sense will help you hide the unsightly wires. That means a little bending of the bracket. Another way is to use one of the brackets that CAT sells that mounts to the body as original but has provisions to fasten the plate to this bracket which puts everything under the bumper.. This bracket is on my Alpines and that means I don't have holes drilled in the trunk lid.

Attachments

• 100_0554.jpg
    100_0554.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 42

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I use these on all my stuff. Clean look, and they light up the plate great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainles-LED-License-Plate-Bolt-Lights-Motorcycle-Auto-/301132628561?hash=item461ce74251:m:msh3Yv2iAp87VXlVK7P6fhg&vxp=mtr
You can just see them in this picture.
IMG_2930-X2.jpg