• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Triple core radiator

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
I have read on the board the virtues of having the radiator reworked to a 3 core. About how much should one expect to pay to have this done? I am in SC, USA. I just wanted to be be able to tell if I am getting a reasonable quote from the shop I plan on taking the rad to.

As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Sam Maw

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Sam - it cost me $375.17 last year when I had it done. Made a huge difference as I was chasing shadows trying to figure out why my temp gauge kept pegging to the right. Changed the head gasket and everything but still nothing. Finally figured out it was the radiator, which I never had rebuilt during the restoration. Stupid! :mad:

mikephillips

Donation Time
Cost will vary in different parts of the country and the vendor for the core. The last one I had done cost me about $275. It was a Tiger radiator but they're about the same size and it's a 3 core.

howard

Donation Time
I considered having a high-efficiency radiator in my 'Pine, but the radiator man says it's not worth it if you're only driving around town. Apparently you don't push enough air through it to cool it down... unless you drive on the highway a lot.

Gary M

Donation Time
3 core radiator

I had a 3 core built for my first alpine series V when I lived in silicon valley and it worked wonders. I no longer had to run the heater to keep the engine cool on hot days. The temperature stayed in the center of the dial all the time. I had the stock fan, not an electric which would have worked even better. My current alpine has a V6 which is a whole different animal. I still don't have a good solution for stop and go overheating.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I have a project I am working on which uses an off the shelf aluminum crossflow radiator from summit which I am cutting down, then tig welding to close the openings.

Its a bit thicker than the stock rad but I figure I will go with an electric fan anyhow.

It has only two rows, but a much higher tube count plus the tubes are wider too.

The radiator was specified to up to 600 hp (I cut about 1/3 of its capacity off), so ought to be plenty of cooling capacity for 175 hp.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I have a project I am working on which uses an off the shelf aluminum crossflow radiator from summit which I am cutting down, then tig welding to close the openings.

Which radiator are you using? How big was it originally? I was wondering the same thing, there are some 24" x 16" rads that are less than $200, I thought they might fit, the only issue would be the mounts and the hose sizes, which I haven't checked yet. I originally was going to get my stocker recored, but if it's going to be ~$400...

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...891681+4294792882+4294792800+115&autoview=sku

cheaper but only 1 row:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294891681+400304+4294792800+115&autoview=sku

65beam

Donation Time
3 row radiator

if you can find a radiator out of a 69 GT,that gives you a three row. the only problem is that the top and bottom hose are reversed from the series 4 and 5's.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Which radiator are you using? How big was it originally? I was wondering the same thing, there are some 24" x 16" rads that are less than $200, I thought they might fit, the only issue would be the mounts and the hose sizes, which I haven't checked yet. I originally was going to get my stocker recored, but if it's going to be ~$400...

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...891681+4294792882+4294792800+115&autoview=sku

cheaper but only 1 row:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294891681+400304+4294792800+115&autoview=sku

The one I bought was $159 IIRC, it was just about the right dimension as far as width, but too tall. Since its a crossflow, too tall is fine, you just use a band saw and cut the extra off the bottom, then add a sheet of aluminum across the cut on the bottom. Lastly you need to put a new outlet hose fitting on the bottom right tank. You need to make sure you order the right config as far as the hose fittings go, theres a ford and a chevy version.

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the input guys, I went ahead and got a local shop to recore the original rad for just under 3 bills. In talking to him, it sounded like the best way to go to make sure to keep a correct fit. I guess the price of copper and Aluminum is driving the price up higher than what seems reasonable.

Sam

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Just received a quote here in SoCal of $348. My vendor also told me the price of copper has driven old radiator prices way up. He also told me the core manufacturer would have to make a custom core. 21 1/2 X 12 X 2 1/4 is not a standard. Still worth the money to acheive maximum cooling.

66Tiger

Donation Time
yes...metal prices seem to be going up. I just read an article about the government wanting to go to steel pennies and nickels since they now cost more than their face values to mint. (1.25 cents for pennies and 7.5 cents for nickels)

Paul

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Just received a quote here in SoCal of $348. My vendor also told me the price of copper has driven old radiator prices way up. He also told me the core manufacturer would have to make a custom core. 21 1/2 X 12 X 2 1/4 is not a standard. Still worth the money to acheive maximum cooling.

I got a quote of over $500 to triple row my SII rad.
That price is what got me thinking about modifying the summit alum rad.

mikephillips

Donation Time
The cent probably won't change until 2010 at the earliest since 2009 is the 100th aniversary of the Lincoln cent and 200th for his birth. They already have plans for special issues in 2009. Of course, nothing to do with radiator other than the heavy bags of Lincolns needed to recore.....

Nickodell

Donation Time
The US government issued steel pennies in 1943, freeing up copper needed for armaments. It was made from 100% steel with a very thin zinc coating to prevent rust. They were the only magnetic coins ever issued.

The government, explaining the the public the need for the new coin, said that it would free up enough copper for the combined needs of "two cruisers, two destroyers, 1,242 Flying Fortresses, 120 field guns and 120 howitzers," or, alternatively, 1 1/4 million shells.

However, the public shunned these strange coins, calling them "lead pennies," "lead cents" and "steelies." A further problem was that, when newly issued, the silvery zinc coating made them resemble dimes. In 1945 they were withdrawn from circulation. The intention was to destroy them all, but collectors kept 85% of them.