• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Trimming Dash Pad from Sunbeam Specialties

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi all.

I have a new dash pad from Sunbeam Specialties that needs to be trimmed at either end to fit around the metal flashing that the furlex piping goes over.

The instructions tell me to trim it, but I'd like to know:
1. How close does it need to be to the metal flashing?
2. How do I line up the dash pad with the heater vents when it wont go on far enough because of the metal it needs cut around?

If it matters, I bought the dash pad in 2006ish, and my car is a S3 ST.

Cheers,
Paul Heuer
Adelaide, Australia

Flynn49

Donation Time
I´ve installed 2 so far with great results. Be very patient! Center the pad as best you can and carefully cut right through the tuff plastic on the ends so the sheetmetal flange goes right through. Trim off the plastic from the flange OUTWARD leaving it where the windshield frame will rest on it. On the inside of the flange, you must trim away just enough for the furflex to engage all the way. Now you can push the pad right up against the dash, line up the defroster slots and open up the defroster vent holes with a scribe. The replacement pad is a little thicker at the front under the windshield frame than the original. The frame wouldn´t seat correctly on my Alpine so I had to shave down some of that foam before glueing it down, it wasn´t so aparent on my Tiger so I left it alone but the scuttle/ frame rubber isn´t as compressed as I´d like it to be. Hope this helps ( I should have taken photos)

alpine_64

Donation Time
I´ve installed 2 so far with great results. Be very patient! Center the pad as best you can and carefully cut right through the tuff plastic on the ends so the sheetmetal flange goes right through. Trim off the plastic from the flange OUTWARD leaving it where the windshield frame will rest on it. On the inside of the flange, you must trim away just enough for the furflex to engage all the way. Now you can push the pad right up against the dash, line up the defroster slots and open up the defroster vent holes with a scribe. The replacement pad is a little thicker at the front under the windshield frame than the original. The frame wouldn´t seat correctly on my Alpine so I had to shave down some of that foam before glueing it down, it wasn´t so aparent on my Tiger so I left it alone but the scuttle/ frame rubber isn´t as compressed as I´d like it to be. Hope this helps ( I should have taken photos)

Flynn.. sorry to jump off topic.. but your location is in brazil.. do you own sunbeams there?

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Flynn, thanks for that. So it's down to the Mk1 Eyeball to line it up to begin with, a big gulp of courage, and then cut!

I'll let you how goes it goes.

Cheers,
Paul.

Flynn49

Donation Time
Good luck Paul and Yes Mike I have a 2 owner SV that was brought to Brazil buy its english 1st owner. I imported a Tiger MK1a a year ago from Calif. Very few Sunbeams here. I know of one other SV (now dissapeared) and 3 S3 all in bad shape.