• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Trim riddle

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Found this vinyl trim piece recently and since it´s singular plus from the shape I´m thinking it should sit behind the trunk opening lever. Does anybody have a clue where it came from & how it was fixed ? Was it put on cardboard ?

Attachments

• hatch lever backing piece.jpg
    hatch lever backing piece.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 54

65beam

Donation Time
it appears to be the piece that glues onto the wheel well. it has thin foam glued to the back. the rear side panels on a lemans would cover all the edges of it. this piece does look like the right side. we were at a show in dayton today and i was talking with some folks about the differences of the lemans versus a standard series 2.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
no it´s not because it´s way smaller and can not cover the wheel well. I´m almost convinced it sits behind the opening lever becauce of the particular shape and it´s singularity. It has a cutout meeting the lever position. Would appreciate a confirmation from the guys with all the HLM KnowHow. The only remaining question then would be whether it was glued on cardboard or not (perhaps L-shaped at the top ?)...

65beam

Donation Time
trim

neither one of my cars has a trim piece behind the lever other than the part that is glued over the wheel well comes up into that area. if they did they were not there when i bought the cars. the original material is still on the wheel wells of the red car and it was a complete one owner when i bought it. i do have all of the interior out of the moonstone car so i can't take a look at it. i'm the second owner of both cars and i have had both cars for close to thirty years so i know there were no previous owners that messed with them. could this have been glued to the floor over the bulge for the rear axle? i'm talking about the area at the back of the package tray between the two rear seat cushions. the carpet section under the cushions would lay over this if it were glued in that area. if it's original material,i wouldn't reuse it.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
interesting but the fact that none of your cars have it could be due to the vinyl may fallen down or out. Better to check again. If you have access to Dr. Bruney fotos you can clearly see vinyl behind the lever on picture #22. The bulge you refer to is definitely coverered with a glued and somewhat preformed carpet piece. Appreciate your investigation & feedback. Seems everybody else out there has no opinion. Are we alone out here ? :-((

65beam

Donation Time
trim

the original interior of my red car was removed and trashed in the early 80's. i don't remember whether that piece was on it. did all cars have material behind the handle? what size is this piece? i have since replaced the interior a second time and i know i did not install material behind the handle. of course my car will never be stock. as you can see i removed the side chrome. i think it makes the car look like a frog squatting. the moonstone car will also have changes. it now has tube shocks on the rear. if you have the photos that tiger tom took,these were taken when scott woerth restored john's car. were you aware that john was not the original owner of his car? he bought it used in columbus ,ohio. the owner of the dealership at that time told me he thinks it came from somewhere on the east coast. there are things about it that were changed when the car was wrecked. the area where the harrington body sets over the rear valance is molded to the body which is different from standard. the entire car had to be repainted. one thing i noticed many years ago is that the cover over the spare tire on john's car is fiber board and not plywood like my two cars. are there others like that? it is a real nice restored example.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
to ease the riddle a bit for the crowd pls. look at the pictures. I very carefully investigated and found glue lines at the back of that triangular trim piece. cut a cardboard exactly following those lines. fixed it to the back and tried installing it through the small lever access hole. hey presto it worked. worthwhile to mention that the cutout at the top was most certainly not originally there. appearantly ripped out when my predecessor removed the piece w/o lossening the mounting lever base. As it looks it was mounted under the lever podest at the top while being glued to the wheelwell at the base. there must be experts out there perhaps knowing better. all I state here is just result of my findings so far...

Attachments

• hatch lever backing piece b.jpg
    hatch lever backing piece b.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 31
  • hatch lever backing piece a.jpg
    hatch lever backing piece a.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 28

65beam

Donation Time
trim

looks reasonable to me. sometimes just sitting back and thinking with no distractions and trying to figure out where a piece like that would fit makes a lot of difference. i've always thought that there were no two cars alike. did you buy a car that was disassembled? that was the thing about both of my cars .they were complete and unmolested except that both of them did not have the brake booster.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
yes unfortunately I bought a puzzle, i.e. a car with an earlier body swap but not well executed. So have to redo it from scrap again. Furthermore a lot of bits and pieces at least stemming from 2 different HLM´s. Anyway for years no HLM came up for sale here in EU but just after I bought the project puzzle complete and unmolested cars came out almost everywhere, even on ebay. That´s life but I have the strong will to rebuild it to it´s former glory and mostly original but with a sporty touch. I´m a driver not just a collector. It has to go like stink therefore I already rebuild a Holbay 1725 +0.030" over, lightened fleewheel , sporty cam, etc. Still a long way to go but try to get it ready within the next year...

napa 1

Donation Time
Looks great Bernd. I installed mine and definetely needed to finish off the opening. Also, the hypoteneuse (sp?) of the triangular opening is also covered by an extension of the piece that covers the wheel area. This side of the trianglular opening is slightly visible when looking into the opening, so it also is covered to make it look better.