• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Trim/Beauty Wheel Rings

jfcroni

Donation Time
I just put these trim rings back on the car (after extensive cleaning). I kind of like them. Were they common at one time... I don't see them around much.

Attachments

• 20171221_203156.jpg
    20171221_203156.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 58

alpine_64

Donation Time
As long as I keep the 13" wheels, I guess I let the trim rings shine.
The reason you dont see them much is so many cars switch to alloy wheels. You sware that every british car in the 60s came fitted wifh minilites when you go to a car show... But ironcially not even a factory option on sunbeams.

The slotted wheel trims replaced the chrome trim ring on the early car that covered ( and gauged) the outer rim of thr wheel. The dress rings covered the wheel completely and looked a lot more complete. The tigers also used these except earlier mki which had a cross hatch design.

65beam

Donation Time
The use of these trim rings on stock steel wheels used on series 5 cars leaves wear marks on the rim. Unlike the trim rings with a series of clips used on earlier cars, these wear away the paint due to movement of the ring. The original wheels had the button welded to the outside of the wheel lug holes to hold the hub cap. The trim has areas cut out to allow the trim to slide over the button. The cut out area is much larger than needed. That allows for movement of the trim since the trim only goes to the area where you can install the clip on wheel weights. A couple of the wheels on our series 5 have been repainted due to this happening. The trim rings were NOS when installed in 1994 so it's not due to them being after market items. In 1968 Chrysler switched to a wheel that no longer had this button. It had a much larger tab stamped in the wheel. It worked great on the small caps used on the Alpines. The GT had a full cover, not two pieces as used on series Alpines.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
I had put on the earlier solid rings on my SV when I completed it. They were readily available and inexpensive. When I came upon a set of the original slotted ones and changed over I like them much more. I'm thinking they may even look better with some whitewalls on them, so on the look.