• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Trade off required? Stroms cd 150

Acollin

Donation Time
As the forum knows, I have been playing a lot with my stromberg cb150s on my series v.
The trade off seems to be either (1) a little bit of dieseling and great performance or (2) no dieseling and a slight hesitation at times. Non-ethanol fuel only.
Questions:
1) Have I gone as far as I can go with adjustments— jets/idle settings/ timing?
2) Is one condition better for the car than the other?
3) are there other things for me to consider? Aside: I want the carbs I have and not a weber.
Thanks all — I appreciate any and all comments/ suggestions.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dieseling is a bad thing. That means the air/fuel mix is pre-igniting and this can do damage to your engine long-term. Go with the hesitation and put heavier oil in the dashpot.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
When do you experience hesitation?
Still using 5M metering needles?
Still using original Lucas 25D4 distributor with old advance curve?

Acollin

Donation Time
Hesitation occurs after gear change acceleration
5M needles-yes
original distributer yes
I have been using 20 wt or atf as dashpot oil. I did have better acceleration when I used engine oil 20/50. I will give it a try.
Thanks all

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hesitation occurs after gear change acceleration
5M needles-yes
original distributer yes
I have been using 20 wt or atf as dashpot oil. I did have better acceleration when I used engine oil 20/50. I will give it a try.
Thanks all
Yeah, that dashpot, as I've explained here before, is your accelerator pump. The heaver the oil, the more 'pump' you get. Never use lightweight oil in it - Rootes recommended engine oil, but if you want even more 'squirt' you could use even heavier oil.

Acollin

Donation Time
Great suggestion, Puff4.
while at this point —I have only had two “stop and restarts”— the different oil has made a significant change.
i siphoned out the atf and poured in 30 wt non- detergent. I use this in my BGT overdrive gearbox. No hesitation on acceleration and no dieseling. I will not deem it resolved just yet, but I am definitely well on my way.
aside:
I will stick with the 30wt for now, but a friend said he heard of people using 80/90wt in dashpots.
be well all
a beautiful day in the pacific northwest today— heading out for a drive
Andrew