• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Torque Head

snamelc

Donation Time
I'm getting ready to put my head back on. The WSM gives the bolt tightening sequence but doesn't go into the method. I plan to use anti-sieze compound on the threads and go around several times, sneaking up on the (new) 45 ft-lb spec in 10 ft-lb increments. I'm sure you all have your own thoughts on this so I'd like to hear them. It's just that it doesn't make sense to me to torque all the way from finger tight to 45 ft-lbs the first time around.

Bill

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
torque

I used to think that to do it in 3 steps was enough, 10, 28 and 45 (this number seems a little high, I used to use 40) and no antiseize, just nice clean threads.

AlsPine

Donation Time
Don't put the bolts on with dry as it will gall the threads and not get the proper torque readings.
Use some torque lube.
You can get torque lube at the speed shop, or just use a drop of oil on the threads.