• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tool roll valve key

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have a plastic one and a brass one Schrader valve tool. Old motorcycle ones had em in the valve cap.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
If I can find the things I'm in the middle of a big project. The ePay one is a ringer for the brass one, it's pretty cheap.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Seems a pretty easy thing to make something like the eBay one on a lathe, no? Just a bit of turning down, a centre drilling, and a quick knurling, and then off to the mill to create the slot.

However, to make an *actual* true replica of the original Dunlop tool may prove a little more difficult. First, it didn't have a diamond knurl, but instead a spiral knurl, which is a bit harder to create, but certainly not impossible. Second, it had the name "DUNLOP" impressed on the side, and finding the correct font and size for the stamps may be problematic... and those letters need to be rolled on, not merely stamped, so it would require creation of a special die to apply them properly.

Here's a photo of an original Dunlop valve tool:

1700454152293.jpeg

Last edited:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
That being said, if you want to make one, have at it. Here is my CAD drawing of an original Dunlop valve tool. Material is soft brass.

1700459971151.png

Last edited:

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
That being said, if you want to make one, have at it. Here is my CAD drawing of an original Dunlop valve tool. Material is soft brass.

View attachment 30323
Kevin, your resourcefulness never fails to amaze me. Thank you.

But my Tiger toll roll is original and complete for the tyre valve so I prefer the elusive original yellow plastic valve key.

Thanks, Mark

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I think they are great as ear scratching tools. I haven't seen the spiral one before. Plastic or Brass most everyone that has one in a trunk unrolled so judges can see the contents is plastic. But my attention is often other places then the tools you have just to look at...
:)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kevin, your resourcefulness never fails to amaze me. Thank you.

But my Tiger toll roll is original and complete for the tyre valve so I prefer the elusive original yellow plastic valve key.

Thanks, Mark
If you get me photos and measurements for the plastic (Nylon?) one, I’ll CAD that one as well!

On edit:

Is this the same as yours, Mark? It appears that Moss sells them for $17.

C993P_1.jpg

Last edited:

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, Kevin, that is exactly the valve key I've seen so many times in tool rolls over the years. I read on another club's website they were available through XKs Unlimited but learned they sold out to Moss a few years ago. I'd checked the Moss site but didn't see it, so I guess I didn't look as thoroughly as you did.

Many thanks.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, Kevin, that is exactly the valve key I've seen so many times in tool rolls over the years. I read on another club's website they were available through XKs Unlimited but learned they sold out to Moss a few years ago. I'd checked the Moss site but didn't see it, so I guess I didn't look as thoroughly as you did.

Many thanks.
Actually, truth be told, I just Googled "dunlop valve tool plastic" and clicked the "Images" search option... :) ... it showed up in the 'sponsored' section, second item in!

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I think there's some variation in the color of yellow but that's what the plastic one looks like that I have, hence the ear wax crack...