• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tires: Dunlop vs. Modern Radial

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
There's been some buzz lately on the forum about tires and tire choices, and I thought for those of you wishing to stick close to the original look you might find this of interest. Here are pictures comparing a new old stock
6.00 x 13 Dunlop Gold Seal bias ply to Futura P165/80R13 radials.
I bought these tires six years ago for $33 each at Pep Boys, and as you can see in the pictures they are very close to the look and profile of the Dunlops.
I wanted the tall narrow look that you'd see in the early 60's, with the thin whitewall of course. :) These tires are still on my Series 3.

Attachments

• dunlop vs futura0002.jpg
    dunlop vs futura0002.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 50
  • dunlop vs futura0001.jpg
    dunlop vs futura0001.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 48

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Scott, I agree the 165-80 tire is THE size if you are looking for a tire that is a close replacement for the original tires. I will add that 165R is the same size. Have no idea what the differences are between the two, but physical size cannot be among them.

I am using 165R's on 5.5" rims and think they look great. Just sort of seem to fit the car. As I recall, the 165R is an old size designation and while not OEM, would be considered period correct.

Bill

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Thoroughbred?

Once we had spent more then the car is worth and it is not original, my restoration guys went to Robinson Tires a local chain. Said here is the size we need what have you got? They say thoroughbred tires and size is P165/80R13 radials, whooping $125.00 for 5 tires mounted, yes that includes the spare. I have no ideal who makes these tires and how long they must of sit in the warehouse at Robinson but after 11,000 miles and 5 years they look like new and when I did the jaguar Shalom last year they held up great. Heck I have not even had to use the spare, I did peel off the sticker looked tacky at car shows to have the sticker on the spare. LOL

Donna
:D

alpine_64

Donation Time
Scott,

When i was running wires on the alpine i used 155's! they were dunlop radials and had a very squared straight edge look which even the thinner modern tyres seem to lack now... they looked spot on, gave light steering and allowed you to drift at about 20mph :p