• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tips and Tricks

mackzknife

Donation Time
Considering the wide range of knowledge on here I thought this would be an interesting topic.
Post your tips and tricks here, tool tips and techniques.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I can stand up from the Lotus position without using my hands. Does that count? ;)

Nickodell

Donation Time
To control the depth of the bit when drilling narrow holes (up to 3/16" or so), cut a piece off a plastic Bic (or similar) pen barrel and slip it over the bit. The length of the piece of pen will be the amount of drill bit protruding from the chuck minus the depth you want to drill. E.g., if there is 2" of drill protruding, and you want to drill 1/4" and no more, cut a 1 3/4" piece of Bic barrel. (If the drill is too wide to slip the plastic over it, just place the whole pen barrel in your vice and drill down the length of the piece you will need, and then another 1/4" before you cut it off).

This especially useful when you are drilling a blind hole in a casting and don't want to go too far in and possibly break through into an oil gallery of water passage. It saves having to keep taking the drill bit out and measuring the depth of the hole you've made. It also works really well when drilling sheet metal (such as body metal) as it stops the drill suddenly breaking through, making a hole in goodness knows what underneath, and the chuck bottoming and ruining the finish. Good for drilling out pop rivets, too.

For wider bits, use your imagination to find some platic doodah wider than a pen.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Good trick, Nick. I usually take the simple way on that and just rip off a bit of masking tape and make a 'flag' on the drill at the stopping point - when the tape begins to brush against the drilled material, I'm to the proper depth.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I wrapped the whole length of the handle of my floor jack with water pipe insulation. Now it it "accidently" bumps anything with paint and sheetmetal, it doesn't dent it...

Nickodell

Donation Time
Good trick, Nick. I usually take the simple way on that and just rip off a bit of masking tape and make a 'flag' on the drill at the stopping point - when the tape begins to brush against the drilled material, I'm to the proper depth.

Tried that, but it doesn't work on thin material. It breaks through and the whole bit goes in before you can react (unless you have reaction times of < 0.01 seconds). Also, the plastic bits can be used over and over for the same depth with the same drill.