• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Timing cover bolt locations on an SV

spudman5

Donation Time
I'm putting the timing cover back on my SV 1725 engine after a rebuild and I'm trying to determine the correct location and orientation of the 4 bolts and nuts that attach the timing cover to the engine mounting plate. I took several pictures during disassembly and kept everything separated out, but the PO didn't do a very good job of using the correct length hardware or orientation of the bolts.

According to the part manual, in section AA, for part attaching the timing cover (Timing Cover is A64 in the parts manual) to the engine mount plate, it lists one of 5/16 x 1" bolt and three of 5/16 x 5/8" bolts. These go throught the holes in the timing cover that aren't backed by the block and are fastened with lock washers and nuts. The 5/8" bolts fit great, but I can't determine were the 1" bolt would go. This seems way to long to use. Is there something that is supposed to be attached to the end of the bolt, and if so, which hole does it go in?

A second question about these bolts is their orientation. Are the heads of all of the bolts on the front of the timing cover? I ask this, because one of the top left bolts (from the front) was installed with the head behind the engine mounting plate.

As a last question, the parts manual also shows a part called a "Collar-Timing Cover Screw" (part A66 in the manual). I don't have anything that looks like a collar and have no idea where it would go.

Thanks,
Mike

mikephillips

Donation Time
The collar timing cover screw is probably the one that goes throu the hole you'll see in the cover behind the damper, from the front look above the damper shaft hole and to the left.

As for the bolts, I've always seen and had the heads on the cover side. Not at home now so I can't say what sizes I put where, but as I recall the diameters should all be the same with only some length variations.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
looking at photos I took when reassembling my engine, I put the heads on the front and I put at least one of te short bolts at the 11 O'Clcok position. And it show the fastener thru the cover behind the damper as a stud protruding out from inside the cover.

Tom

mikephillips

Donation Time
Stud thru the cover is what's available as a replacement, might have been used for the fastback Alpines. Original style was a piece drilled for a bolt that went thru the cover

spudman5

Donation Time
Is it possible the 'Collar - timing cover screw' goes under the stud where it meets the engine mount frame? Or does one of the timing cover bolts that goes into the block supposed to have a collar? That might make sense since 8 of the bolts (or screws as they are listed in the parts manual since they screw into the block instead of using nuts) are listed as 3/4" long and one is listed as 7/8" long. If so, what is the purpose and which hole does it go on?

Mike

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Mike
The collar goes under the head of one of the upper bolts into the block, its the one that comes too close to the lip on the cover to turn or to get a spanner on easily, the collar raises the bolt head so it is accessable, the other long bolt through the cover and mounting plate accommodates the engine earth strap to engine mount base, its torqued as the others and strap clamped at the back with a second washer and nut.
Pete

spudman5

Donation Time
Pete,

Thanks for that information. I can see where something like a collar would go (I would call it a spacer), if a spanner (wrench?) was used to tighten the bolt. With the use of a socket, there isn't a space issue so I'll probably skip the collar.

For the grounding strap, why is one on the engine? I have one that goes from the transmission to the frame, and from what I can read, that is the factory installation.
Was the addition of the grounding strap from the engine mount to the frame a later addition or is that something that people have added due to issues with the transmission grounding strap?

Thanks,
Mike

Rootes 66

Donation Time
The engine ground strap / cable was standard fit on Series IV & V, not too sure on earlier cars. (Part No 1046642)
Pete

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Pete,

Does that engine ground strap show up in some parts drawing or documented somewhere? I have owned and worked on at least 5 SIV and SV and have never seen a ground strap up front. Only the one at the tranny rear mouting bracket.

Tom

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Hi Tom
I don't have a drawing with it on and why you would need a second earth, I don't know, but its just one of those things that you always remember being there. It looks like it was introduced during the Series III production with the additional nut and washer showing up in the parts manual along with the longer bolt on the 1600 engine. I believe the transmission earth to frame ran throughout the whole period of Alpine production.
Pete