• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tigers And Increased Pitch Fans.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I recently installed a Flex-a-lite fan on my Tiger and was wondering what other people have done to overcome the clearance issue with the top radiator hose. I have two options, one is to fabricate a spacer or the second to have a different top hose. Please let me know how others overcame the issue.

Thank you, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi,

I recently installed a Flex-a-lite fan on my Tiger and was wondering what other people have done to overcome the clearance issue with the top radiator hose. I have two options, one is to fabricate a spacer or the second to have a different top hose. Please let me know how others overcame the issue.

Thank you, Robin.

Rob, is it a 15" fan?
Do you still have thermo fans on the front of the radiator?
Are you having cooling issues?

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Robin
I am using the 2 90s from the hose.I have cut them back pretty short and use a copper pipe to connect them.If you use the pipe it is a good idea to get a shop to flange a roll at the end so when you clamp the hose it has a good secure fit.I used 2 clamps at each end.Overkill maybe.This works for me as I have even moved the fan.( an after market 15 inch cooling fan) back as far as possible.This allows room for a good shroud which can pull air through 90+ percent of the rad.
As to the flex fan I would not use it as they don't pull that much air.They are designed to flex out to the flat so they are not grabbing air which would eat at the HP rating.
I did not cut my fans for clearance either.

Hi,

Thank you, Robin.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Chuck,

That is the very reason that I recomment not using a Flex-O-Lite fan. They are meant to flatten out at higher revs, and what they do, is flex forward too, which if your radiator is a bit close, will cause it to flex into the radiator. I have personally seen several radiators ruined by them.

Jose

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Robin
I am using the 2 90s from the hose.I have cut them back pretty short and use a copper pipe to connect them.

I do something similar with my V8. I am using a 15" Derale fan and had to lift the engine slightly at the motor mounts to provide clearance with the front steering apparatus. That brought the fan into contact with the stock hose. I cut the hose and inserted a copper pipe to change the angle and provide clearance.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Thank you for the replies. Just to clarify, I am using a 14" light-weight fibreglass style fan not the metal style Flex-a-lite fan. I am also still running my twin electric fans. I am not having cooling issues, just more of a precautionary installation to make sure everything stays cool (the last time I drove the Tiger with the new fan, it seemed to be running a bit cooler). There have been a number of Tiger users in Australia running them with good reports. I did not want to use a 15" fan due to the modification required even though they move more air. Are there any adverse effects by raising the engine?

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi,

am also still running my twin electric fans. I am not having cooling issues, just more of a precautionary installation to make sure everything stays cool
Regards, Robin.

ROB IF YOU ARE NOT HAVING ISSUES.. AND YOUR CAR HAS BEEN ON THE ROAD A FEW SUMMERS.. I WOULD LEAVE IT BE.. NO NEED TO CHANGE THINGS THAT ARE RUNNING WELL.. THATS ASKING FOR TROUBLE.. AND MONEY!

SORRY ABOUT CAPS.. DRAWING IN CAD

64beam

Donation Time
ROB IF YOU ARE NOT HAVING ISSUES.. AND YOUR CAR HAS BEEN ON THE ROAD A FEW SUMMERS.. I WOULD LEAVE IT BE.. NO NEED TO CHANGE THINGS THAT ARE RUNNING WELL.. THATS ASKING FOR TROUBLE.. AND MONEY!

SORRY ABOUT CAPS.. DRAWING IN CAD

Hi Michael,

What I am aiming at is to be able to go for a drive during summer (on most days) and have the peace of mind that I can either drive through traffic or freeway without an issue. If I can keep the Tiger running cooler (by simply changing a fan), it has to be a good thing. I don't see how I am causing trouble that will possibly cost me money. Some of the temperature issues go back to when my Dad was driving the Tiger (Dad basically put up with them, but were frustrating at times).

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

What I am aiming at is to be able to go for a drive during summer (on most days) and have the peace of mind that I can either drive through traffic or freeway without an issue. If I can keep the Tiger running cooler (by simply changing a fan), it has to be a good thing. I don't see how I am causing trouble that will possibly cost me money. Some of the temperature issues go back to when my Dad was driving the Tiger (Dad basically put up with them, but were frustrating at times).

Regards, Robin.

hey Rob,

The incuring cost is buying new fans.. different hoses, spacers etc.. it may drop the temps a bit more.. but as i was saying.. if the car has handled the heat before.. i think you dont need to play with the setup.

I didn't realise the car had issues when your father was driving it.. did it overheat in traffic or on the run on hot days? Basically.. the cars suffer overheating in standing conditions due to lack of airflow.. if you are worried i would do things like block the horn holes off, make sure your shroud is sealed (and maybe enclose it fully) and see how efficent the fans are on the front. Did Mal fit a larger or modified radiator core when he did the resto?

64beam

Donation Time
hey Rob,

The incuring cost is buying new fans.. different hoses, spacers etc.. it may drop the temps a bit more.. but as i was saying.. if the car has handled the heat before.. i think you dont need to play with the setup.

I didn't realise the car had issues when your father was driving it.. did it overheat in traffic or on the run on hot days? Basically.. the cars suffer overheating in standing conditions due to lack of airflow.. if you are worried i would do things like block the horn holes off, make sure your shroud is sealed (and maybe enclose it fully) and see how efficent the fans are on the front. Did Mal fit a larger or modified radiator core when he did the resto?

As with most Tigers, the traffic conditions are the killer. The main issue after a decent drive is the heat soak effect and trying to restart. I think the new battery with the extra oomph has helped great there. A few people have mentioned that the two 10" fans block too much air and a single 12" would be better, but in saying that apparently the two 10's flow more than the single 12. I recently had a small hole repaired in the radiator and it is a four row with offset cores (apparently the most effecient of the older type radiators). I priced a new custom aluminium radiator at which would cost $650 minimum. I have also thought about blocking the horn holes, but have not done anything at the moment.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
As with most Tigers, the traffic conditions are the killer. The main issue after a decent drive is the heat soak effect and trying to restart. I think the new battery with the extra oomph has helped great there. A few people have mentioned that the two 10" fans block too much air and a single 12" would be better, but in saying that apparently the two 10's flow more than the single 12. I recently had a small hole repaired in the radiator and it is a four row with offset cores (apparently the most effecient of the older type radiators). I priced a new custom aluminium radiator at which would cost $650 minimum. I have also thought about blocking the horn holes, but have not done anything at the moment.

Regards, Robin.

Rob,

There are a few different issues you have there.. and the solutions are not related.

The main issue after a decent drive is the heat soak effect and trying to restart.
This is not related to traffic conditions, and chances its also not related to the radiator or the fans. This will be the fuel getting warm. try insulating the fuel lines in the engine bay.. did you fit the carb spacer in the end? Another issue possibly is the orignal fuel pumps mount above the mufflers.. if you do not insulate them they can also cause that issue.

A few people have mentioned that the two 10" fans block too much air and a single 12" would be better, but in saying that apparently the two 10's flow more than the single 12.

This is true... it is better to have 1 single large fan.. this relates to when the car is on the run. 2 large pusher fans can actually block the air flow to the radiator when on the run.. the car will act fine at idle as the fans do their thing.. but on the run they prevent air from hitting the radiator.

the horn hole mod stops hot air coming back out through the holes and gogin back through the radiator.. also at speed it ensures more air is sent through the radiator.

Long and the short of it.. if the isue is trouble restarting.. its heat soak.. this is a tiger issue anyway.. i think you might be looking for the wrong solution.. regardless of fans etc.. tiger engine bays are hot places.. once the car is off they will get heat soak no matter what.. i would look into the fuel lines and the fuel pump. If the car runs good temps when i traffic and on the run.. id say the cooling system is doing the job.

64beam

Donation Time
Rob,

There are a few different issues you have there.. and the solutions are not related.

The main issue after a decent drive is the heat soak effect and trying to restart.
This is not related to traffic conditions, and chances its also not related to the radiator or the fans. This will be the fuel getting warm. try insulating the fuel lines in the engine bay.. did you fit the carb spacer in the end? Another issue possibly is the orignal fuel pumps mount above the mufflers.. if you do not insulate them they can also cause that issue.

A few people have mentioned that the two 10" fans block too much air and a single 12" would be better, but in saying that apparently the two 10's flow more than the single 12.

This is true... it is better to have 1 single large fan.. this relates to when the car is on the run. 2 large pusher fans can actually block the air flow to the radiator when on the run.. the car will act fine at idle as the fans do their thing.. but on the run they prevent air from hitting the radiator.

the horn hole mod stops hot air coming back out through the holes and gogin back through the radiator.. also at speed it ensures more air is sent through the radiator.

Long and the short of it.. if the isue is trouble restarting.. its heat soak.. this is a tiger issue anyway.. i think you might be looking for the wrong solution.. regardless of fans etc.. tiger engine bays are hot places.. once the car is off they will get heat soak no matter what.. i would look into the fuel lines and the fuel pump. If the car runs good temps when i traffic and on the run.. id say the cooling system is doing the job.

Michael,

The heat soak issue is not really the issue for me as I am happy with the battery fix (if you can call it that). I think I have proven that with some testing on hot days. Between the driving that myself and my Dad have done, the highway travelling never seemed to be the issue, just in traffic. I think I will try block the horn holes first to see what effect, if any, it has. I remember someone have a drawing for the horn hole cover plates. Do you know who?

Regards, Robin.

Regards, Robin.

agmason

Donation Time
What size engine do you have, 302? My car has the 260 and original fan, radiator plus shroud with no over heating. My car did suffer from vapor lock or heat soak and adding a 1 inch plastic spacer under the carb cleared up that problem. The only other thing I did was to block off the horn openings and stuff pipe insulation between above the cross member as in the article in TEAE web site. The last two were more from a prevention stand point then trying to fix a problem. Does your car dump rad fluid? If it doesn't then it is not overheating no matter what the gauge reads.

64beam

Donation Time
What size engine do you have, 302? My car has the 260 and original fan, radiator plus shroud with no over heating. My car did suffer from vapor lock or heat soak and adding a 1 inch plastic spacer under the carb cleared up that problem. The only other thing I did was to block off the horn openings and stuff pipe insulation between above the cross member as in the article in TEAE web site. The last two were more from a prevention stand point then trying to fix a problem. Does your car dump rad fluid? If it doesn't then it is not overheating no matter what the gauge reads.

Hi,

I also have a stock 260 with a four barrel and electronic ignition conversion. So basically identical. I have installed a heat insulating spacer, but only a 1/2" one due to the air cleaner I was using (I am now running the original air cleaner). My main reason for the fan change was to help with the traffic driving, not highway driving. The only time the radiator dumps fluid is when it is over filled. The cause I suppose you call it, was after I replaced the two barrel manifold. From changing to the aluminium manifold, the temperature is reading higher than the iron manifold. Talking to other people say they normally read low if there is a problem, not high. So obviously the resistance between the two are different. As I said previously, my mods are more precautionary like what you have done.

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Robin
I am using the 2 90s from the hose.I have cut them back pretty short and use a copper pipe to connect them.If you use the pipe it is a good idea to get a shop to flange a roll at the end so when you clamp the hose it has a good secure fit.I used 2 clamps at each end.Overkill maybe.This works for me as I have even moved the fan.( an after market 15 inch cooling fan) back as far as possible.This allows room for a good shroud which can pull air through 90+ percent of the rad.
As to the flex fan I would not use it as they don't pull that much air.They are designed to flex out to the flat so they are not grabbing air which would eat at the HP rating.

I do something similar with my V8. I am using a 15" Derale fan and had to lift the engine slightly at the motor mounts to provide clearance with the front steering apparatus. That brought the fan into contact with the stock hose. I cut the hose and inserted a copper pipe to change the angle and provide clearance.

Hi Chuck and Paul,

Are you both running the original oil filter or are you running a Ford motorsport style adaptor? Is it possible to post a picture of your top hose/pipe setup?

Thank you, Robin.