• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

tiger to restore

bbonner

Donation Time
What is the going price for a REAL tiger needing full restoration? I see them a lot done going for about $20-25,000. So I am curious what one that needs restoration goes for in today's market.

bbonner

Donation Time
Nice site but I mean just one needing total restoration. Not one that is running and driving and show quality etc. Some call them rolling chasis.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Nice site but I mean just one needing total restoration. Not one that is running and driving and show quality etc. Some call them rolling chasis.

I think for a resto project you are looking in the 8-10K bracket.. for a car that's largely complete.. is a REAL Tiger.. but you are also looking at a LOT of welding.

atallamcs

Donation Time
base Tiger

You will be lucky to find a complete, original, rust free car for under $15,000. Expect restoration to be another $25-35,000.
Bill

Sownman

Donation Time

If you look at the link I gave you you'll see two cars that fit your description both asking $8950. I've no idea if either is a real Tiger though. I'e seen a car local to me that I'm pretty certain is real and does need total restoration. He was asking $20K.

Steve R

64beam

Donation Time
The cheaper the car is, the more you will also have to spend as there will be more to be repaired. I would try and find a rust free, running, complete and close to original Tiger. You could then drive it for a bit while figuring out how you want to go about it.

Regards, Robin.

Duke

Donation Time
I paid over $26K for my Tiger. It was supposedly "restored". I have spent another $3K thus far fixing different "restored" areas of the car that were way below my standard for restoration. Just goes to show that the word "restored" has many different implications depending on the eye of the restorer.

I still got a great deal with my car as it is extremely solid and was off the road since 1972.

My .02 - spend the MOST money you can afford to get the best car to start with. If you are going to put money in a car, a Tiger is an excellent choice.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
OK Guys, now don't puke!
About 3 years ago, I purchased a package deal of 4 Alpines (various years and conditions) along with a Tiger.
B9470038LRX
JAL550024
The deal was take one, take all, no leaving anything behind, along with 2 other cars of which I don't recall make or model of.
The Tiger is complete with original 260 and tranny.
Horrible paint job in the wrong color (original is 19) along with the side chrome removed and rear wheel flares added (yuck!)
Other than that, the car is VERY restorable.
As I said earlier, don't puke, but in the end I paid around what an average restorable Alpine is worth for the whole lot.
Right place, Right time.;)

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
And remember, most restoration projects probably won't carry a TAC number or anything certifying them so it's always a case of knowledge being your friend.

Mike,
Speaking of a TAC#, how do I go about getting one and should I be concerned about getting it before the "restoration" begins?
There's no dought in my mind it's an original Tiger though.
While I'm at it, does anyone have any history on this car?
I know it had been sitting for quite awhile, also, given the vin# am I correct that this would be the 38th Tiger off the assy line?
I'd be interested to know how many earlier produced cars still exist.
I've been around Alpines for about 40 yrs, but this is the first Tiger I've ever had so I've got some learning to do as far as what's correct, which direction to go in the "restoration" and so on.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks

Sorry to jump this post, I can start a new one if need be.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Jeff, you said that your car is #38 early Tiger, what kind of trans. dose it have?
The early cars had T-10 and not the toploader! it may or may not be at the cut off, I would have to check my notes to see. A friend of mine some years back had the 4th or 5th car produced he lived in Asheville NC. The early cars were ruff! As they got better at putting them together alot of things were changed, its nice to see a early tiger still living.:cool:

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
George:

According to Bill Carroll's, "Tiger, An Exceptional Motorcar," the last Tiger to employ the T-10 tranny was B9470056. How do I remember this? My first Tiger was B9470058, the second car off the line with the Ford Toploader. I acknowledge the fact that there have been a lot of mistakes discovered in Bill Carroll's book but, if the production change section is accurate, then car #56 would be the last T-10 car in production.

Take care,