• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger steering rack adjustments or repairs.

RHFG

Donation Time
Has anyone taken a Tiger rack to bits? Mine seems a bit lumpy and has movement at the pinion end when turned. The non-pinion end has a bronze bush in the casing to keep the rack centralised and no spring plunger at that end. Seems in good condition here.
Pinion end of the rack casing has no bushing and has cap with shims for pinion
end play with a steel washer on the inside riding against the pinion by the teeth and a spring and plunger on the side to keep the rack up against the pinion.

This unit was almost impossible to turn and someone had used silicone on the pinion end cap. I got it to turn only by backing off the pinion cap nuts 1/2 a turn, but gets lumpy. On hard rh lock the inner joint is off-centre as it enters end casing by the pinion as it's not central like the rh end. It has some lateral movement here and the rack rises and falls slightly as it engages the next pinion tooth giving the lumpy feel.

Any info appreciated.

Russ

agmason

Donation Time
Sounds like you need a rebuild. The problem is the are no vendors making parts that I know of and you may have to fabricate your self. I can give you the phone number of someone in the states who may have one to sell but shipping may be expensive to New Zeland.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Is Tom Hall of CA still around? He used to be the go-to guy for Tiger rack repair.

Have you tried removing and inspecting the piston? I had one that had worn completely thru the underside surface and scratched up the rack. Lots of slop. Tom repaired it - eons ago.

RHFG

Donation Time
Taken it to bits, had to get the piston/damper out thro the bottom as it was broken on the crown tip. Overall the pinion is showing wear and is quite notchy
in engagement with the rack. I think it's another rack, or change to RHD with the MG setup, thanks.

RHFG

Donation Time
Contacted Flaming River, their MGB rack is the closest to Tiger specs, but I'm looking at converting car to RHD.

Other question: what's the attraction of the MG Midget Rack? Why not straighten out the Tiger rack arms and add MGB steering arms? Is it to get a quicker rack? ps. A Hillman Avenger rack was used here to convert a LHD Tiger some years ago.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Contacted Flaming River, their MGB rack is the closest to Tiger specs, but I'm looking at converting car to RHD.

Other question: what's the attraction of the MG Midget Rack? Why not straighten out the Tiger rack arms and add MGB steering arms? Is it to get a quicker rack? ps. A Hillman Avenger rack was used here to convert a LHD Tiger some years ago.

The midget rack conversion started a while back. Dale A offered a kit using the early midget rack on his special mounts and MGB steering arms with alpine tie rods. This allowed a quicker rack but had the big advantage of reducing the negative ackerman geometry which is the design flaw in the tiger setup (no more backwards facing bent steering arms) It does not cure it completely but helps a lot.

David Craw in NZ i believe does a kit for a subaru power steering rack.. but someone told me they use MG arms on that and bend them back.. which from what i understand would sort of defeat the point.