• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

tiger rear?

sd_pace

Donation Time
I was wondering if the stock tiger rear axle assemble and more over the differential gears are interchangable with alpine sets? ... or are they their own beast.... i have an opportunity to get a tiger hub to hub set up and would like to use it for the v6 conversion....jose says the 2.88 ratio is to tall and i agree... but that takes away from the crusing speed... i need to rebuild my t5 so wouldnt be easy enough to use a different ratio for the first and second gear? or would it be easier to change the ring and pinon?
thanks,
Steve

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I was wondering if the stock tiger rear axle assemble and more over the differential gears are interchangable with alpine sets? ... or are they their own beast.... i have an opportunity to get a tiger hub to hub set up and would like to use it for the v6 conversion....jose says the 2.88 ratio is to tall and i agree... but that takes away from the crusing speed... i need to rebuild my t5 so wouldnt be easy enough to use a different ratio for the first and second gear? or would it be easier to change the ring and pinon?
thanks,
Steve

The alpine and tiger axles share nothing in common.

The tiger axle is a dana 44, gears are available but you need to know what gear ratio is in the axle since they have high and low axle ratio carriers and they gearsets must be matched to that.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Changing gears can also mean changing axles too depending on what you use and how far down that path you choose to go. The original axle spline count is effectively obsolete.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Steve,

The 2.8 V6 needs to run at higher revolutions to run properly. You can't run a gear higher than 3.55 to 1, and have a good cruising rpm for the engine. A common mistake is to forget that the 5.0 V8 has a lot of torque, so can cruise at 1,800 rpm in fifth. The best rpm for the 2.8 in fifth (70mph), is about 2,800. I suggest running at least a 3.89 and preferably 4.11, so that the engine is in it's power range. If you use a higher gear ratio, you will be lugging the engine and will not get any performance fron the little V6. You won't even get better gas mileage, because the engine speed is too low.

The fifth gear from the V8 or V6 T5"s, will give a cumfortable cruising engine speed, even with a set of 4.11's.

Jose :)

thanks,
Steve

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Changing gears can also mean changing axles too depending on what you use and how far down that path you choose to go. The original axle spline count is effectively obsolete.

The original axles are tiger specific. The biggest issue with the axles is twofold:

1) The axle is semi-floating and needs a button through the differential so both axles push on each other for bearing preload.

2) The 19 spline carrier used in the tiger has not been used in ages due to stronger finer spline axles that were used on later dana 44s.

Original 19 spline side gears will be hard to find, but a dana powr-loc limited slip with 19 splines and the needed button are not that rare, particularly used.
Since its a sports car and considering the cost in the axle itself, it makes sense to spend the extra money on limited slip when changing out the gears.

People have undoubtedly had custom axles made for tigers over the years, but economically this doesnt make sense when other options are open and much less expensive.

sd_pace

Donation Time
Thanks guys... that helps... i am trying to create the best senerio from what I have avaliable ... now the rear in the car is a stock 4.22... and i have an opportunity to replace it with a 3.89 ....with that being considered between those two ... should i stay with the 4.22 or go to the 3.89 ... i want to be able to cruise at 80 without over reving

steve

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The 4.22's would work great too. Jim Ellis is running a set of 4.22's in his Vader, and he loves them. First of all, how many times will you be running at 80 mph? The rpm's with the 4.22's would depend a lot on the size of the tire you use on the car. I have run at 90 mph for hours, on I-5 through the San Juaquin valley with a set of 3.55's. I can't remember what the rpm's were, but with the 3.55's, at 55 mph, the engine was lugging at 2,000 rpm. The reason I wasn't looking at the rev counter, was because the engine wasn't sounding buzzy. It just loved to run at that speed. It felt at home at higher revs.

If you are running a V8 or V6 T5, I would think the overdrive ratio would let it run there without straining the engine.

Jose :)

Go with the 3.89. It will be an improvement over the 4.22 but will still be a buzzy ride at 80.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Tiger axle

Jose and everyone else here are correct. For what it's worth, I have a Tiger axle with locking diff with a 3.32 ratio in my V6. I wish I had a higher numerical ratio. My car runs fine in the first four but if I'm not seriously motivating, 5th drops way off easily and I need to down shift to gain back momentum.

Jim E

Donation Time
The 4.22 made a difference in my car over the 3.89 would certainly go with the 4.22 over the 3.89 if I had a choice. I am also of the opinion that a well preparded stock axle is fine for the V6 upgrade, just make sure the ring gear bolts are good you install hard keys and traction bars. Do all these things before you try the car out or you will certailny bust the rear end.

Think we just talked about this a thread or two back but I also want to add building a Tiger rear end is spendy

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Changing out gear sets

How big a project is changing out a ring and pinion set in a Dana 44 w/locking diff?

Jim E

Donation Time
It is not a job you want to do your self takes special tools and know how. I took mine to a 4X4 specialtiy shop and had it done cost $200 to have the gear set up, rear end out of the car.. You also need to make sure what locker you have because there is a break on what size gear they will carry. Yours most likely will not take much more than a 3.70 something, but I could be off a bit. Would look for a jeep shop they are good with the dana 44s and do them all the time. Find one drive by and have a chat. Oh and you may want to put a new clutch pack in the locker while it is out.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Reply to Jim E

It is not a job you want to do your self takes special tools and know how. I took mine to a 4X4 specialtiy shop and had it done cost $200 to have the gear set up, rear end out of the car.. You also need to make sure what locker you have because there is a break on what size gear they will carry. Yours most likely will not take much more than a 3.70 something, but I could be off a bit. Would look for a jeep shop they are good with the dana 44s and do them all the time. Find one drive by and have a chat. Oh and you may want to put a new clutch pack in the locker while it is out.

Thank you Jim.

There is a good one locally that my neighbor (avid off road Jeep guy) recommends . I'll take the Alpine there when it cools down and see if they can identify what they can do from looking at the unit. Yes, absolutely, I'd let a professional do the job and while it was down just have the whole thing done. Don't plan to take it out again.

sd_pace

Donation Time
Thanks again guys ... lotz of information... after thinkin it over the 4.22 original is the way to go... i dont plan to be very aggressive with the car but i do want some performance... jim i do need some harded key from you if you have some. if anyone needs a tiger rear I know where to get it kinda cheap... with brakes too
steve

Jim E

Donation Time
Steve,
Send me a PM or email with your mailing info and will get you a set on the way. Thinking six bucks will cover it.

Jim