• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger Radiator Cap

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I was curious about the radiator cap that is on my Tiger. It is a 14 psi type cap, but it also has what looks like a float on a spring connected to the plunger/seal of the cap. What is its purpose?

Thanks, Robin.

dlyle123

Donation Time
That's a sacrificial anode. The cap is an aftermarket item. The idea is that the little float will corrode instead of any other aluminum in your motor. Keep an eye on it and you'll notice that eventually you'll have to replace the cap and anode as it will fall apart. I think one of the common brand names is Rad Cap.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I did notice that the float part was rusted a bit, but it did not stop the heater outlet and thermostat housing from also being eroded which also serve as a sacrifice.

Thanks again, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I was wondering if you can still get chrome radiator caps for the stock Tiger setup in 15 PSI? Do any of the early Mustang caps suit the Tiger setup? I had a few older caps in the boot that my Dad put there for an emergency. I installed the 15 PSI cap and ran the car up to temperature. The 15 PSI cap seemed to let very little fluid out on expansion compared to the 14 PSI cap with the sacrificial anode. Makes me think that it was time to replace the cap.

Thank you, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

For those interested, I managed to find a replacement radiator cap for the Tiger. The cap is made in Australia by CPC auto components and the part number is 518 15, which is a 15 psi (100 kpa) standard 80mm width, 22mm height with a short neck depth. It cost AU$8 which is very reasonable as well. It measures up very close to the 14 psi cap (SMCO R-12) that was on it.

Regards, Robin.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Robin,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this.
The cap on the Mustang is a SMCO 14

The disk at the bottom of the spring measures 1.525"
Distance from the disk to the raised ring inside the cap is .8"
Distance between the tabs on the cap is 2.045"
Cap diameter is 2.34"
Distance from the disk to the raised ring inside the cap with the spring compressed .656"

The color of the spring is green.

Radiator neck is .798" deep.
Inside Diameter is 1.6"
Outside Diameter is 2.21"

And two other neck measurements that I don't recall where or what I measured
Flange .21
At tabs 1.95

Sorry if you have to convert these measurements, didn't think about that.
Also this was measured with my CHEAP Harbour Freight digital caliper. :rolleyes:

Mike

64beam

Donation Time
Robin,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this.
The cap on the Mustang is a SMCO 14

The disk at the bottom of the spring measures 1.525"
Distance from the disk to the raised ring inside the cap is .8"
Distance between the tabs on the cap is 2.045"
Cap diameter is 2.34"
Distance from the disk to the raised ring inside the cap with the spring compressed .656"

The color of the spring is green.

Radiator neck is .798" deep.
Inside Diameter is 1.6"
Outside Diameter is 2.21"

And two other neck measurements that I don't recall where or what I measured
Flange .21
At tabs 1.95

Sorry if you have to convert these measurements, didn't think about that.
Also this was measured with my CHEAP Harbour Freight digital caliper. :rolleyes:

Mike

Thanks for the measurements Mike. My current radiator cap has the same SMCO 14 stamped on it and I am betting that when I match the dimensions, they will be the same.

Thanks again,

Regards, Robin.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had one problem on the Mustang when I got a new one. With the old one I was loosing coolant through the overflow when the engine was hot. Got a new one, instead of coolant loss through the overflow, it started forcing coolant out at my heater core connections. These by the way are on the passenger side of the firewall inside the heater box. Another one of "Ford's Better Ideas". I had replaced the box and core a couple of years ago, so I know the clamps are tight. So I put the old cap back on.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robin

I just bought a 14 lb cap from Motor Traders in Berri
Cost about 7 bucks
Cheers
Allan

Hi Allan,

Good to hear from you. Have you always had a Tiger or was it a recent purchase? Was the radiator cap a CPC brand?

Regards, Robin.

atman

Donation Time
Hi Robin

Bought the Tiger last September, bought from Bruce Rudland who had imported it from the States. Its an ex " tiger Tom ". Since then have had it converted to rhd. Drove it back to Berri and then to Adelaide for some work on it. Whilst oil leaks and other bits didn't show up when purchased , they certinly showed up after 1000 km's. ie. axel seals, koni shocks, intake manifold ( Elderbrook) and gearbox leaks. I have had the koni's rebuilt, axel seals fixed and taken the engine /gearbox out to fix the leaks. Whilst i had the gearbox apart i replaced the gears with a wide ratio set. The diff is a 3.07 with a detriot locker. Will be changing the diff final ratio (since i have put in a lower first gear) to give a cruising speed of 110kph at approx 2600 rpm rather than 3100. Also have fitted a alloy radiator. Thats it for the moment, money's run out.

The Series 1 runs really nice now since i fitted the intake manifold you supplied, the only addition so far is the fitting of a 5sp box, whick will set the Alpine up nicely

Cheers
Allan

atman

Donation Time
Hi Robin

Re Radiator cap, not sure of the brand just went in and the guy gave me one that suted an early model ford 289. i note you have mentioned sacrificial anode ( which mine has not got) and i have alloy heads & alloy radiator. Does that mean that the sacrificial anode has to be inferior alloy as compared to the heads and the radiator ? Also what type of radiator fluid do u use for this type of engine ?

Regards

Allan

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robin

Re Radiator cap, not sure of the brand just went in and the guy gave me one that suted an early model ford 289. i note you have mentioned sacrificial anode ( which mine has not got) and i have alloy heads & alloy radiator. Does that mean that the sacrificial anode has to be inferior alloy as compared to the heads and the radiator ? Also what type of radiator fluid do u use for this type of engine ?

Regards

Allan

Hi Allan,

I have never seen a sacrificial anode on a radiator cap before, which is why I wasn't sure what it was initially (until I asked the question on the forum). I believe the thermostat housing serves the same purpose, so I assume the housing or any sacrifical anode is of a different make up. When I last refilled the radiator I used the Nulon concentrated coolant/inhibitor (Any descent coolant would do though - just chose Nulon because it is made in Aus).

Regards, Robin.