• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger project near Philadelphia

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Tiger??

I would love a Tiger but I can just see another Alpine being used for "The Project".

64beam

Donation Time
You wouldn't even get your money back selling the parts :( . What exactly could be transplanted :confused: . Save anything you can, tick it off the registry and send it to the scrap yard.

Regards, Robin.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Why is it, on these Tiger basket cases, they say they will throw in an Alpine too? Is that just to sweeten the deal?
That's disgusting...That's an insult!!!

64beam

Donation Time
Why is it, on these Tiger basket cases, they say they will throw in an Alpine too? Is that just to sweeten the deal?
That's disgusting...That's an insult!!!

He did say 'available for $2400' ;) . I wonder what the Alpine looks like when the Tiger is only good for the scrap yard. As I stated, there are not alot of reasonable bits to use off the Tiger.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I can see the asking price in tiger parts.. you would assume that the underside is not a pretty sight..

Rob.. as a side note.. have you seen the "project" cars the guy that restored your dads Tiger has sold to people.. i'd say they are on a par with this car and he has charged 7 times what this guy is asking.... makes you wonder about the honesty and integrity of some of our club members.. not to mention i would not want to run one of his restos through the TAC process.

64beam

Donation Time
I can see the asking price in tiger parts.. you would assume that the underside is not a pretty sight..

Rob.. as a side note.. have you seen the "project" cars the guy that restored your dads Tiger has sold to people.. i'd say they are on a par with this car and he has charged 7 times what this guy is asking.... makes you wonder about the honesty and integrity of some of our club members.. not to mention i would not want to run one of his restos through the TAC process.

Hi Michael,

I personally can't see justify the asking price. As you said, the underside would barely be holding together and the interior parts would also need some serious restoration.
I haven't seen any other cars done by the guy. Hopefully Dad's was not that bad, but I'm sure if it was we would have seen issues come up. I wish we had some restoration shots though.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

I personally can't see justify the asking price. As you said, the underside would barely be holding together and the interior parts would also need some serious restoration.
I haven't seen any other cars done by the guy. Hopefully Dad's was not that bad, but I'm sure if it was we would have seen issues come up. I wish we had some restoration shots though.

Regards, Robin.

Rob... tell me what you think the following are worth:

Header tank,
firewall/gearbox tunnel,
close ratio top loader
tiger rear end (maybe LSD)
tiger boot floor
tiger fuel pump bracket
toger cross member and steering
tiger speedo + tach
tiger shifter

parts it may have with it:
air cleaner
fan shroud
tool roll
JAL and VIN tags

I see more than 3700 there easy.

As for your car.. im reasonably sure its lineage is clean.. but i am far less certain about other restorations.. as for workmanship.. each to their own.
regarding the "restoration" project i saw in melbourne .. when i saw it i struggled to believe how bad it was.. when i found out who sold it to the person and the price i was horrified.. and at one point i had thought of buying a "project" from that member.. and for similar money.. i am so glad i didnt.

64beam

Donation Time
Rob... tell me what you think the following are worth:

Header tank,
firewall/gearbox tunnel,
close ratio top loader
tiger rear end (maybe LSD)
tiger boot floor
tiger fuel pump bracket
toger cross member and steering
tiger speedo + tach
tiger shifter

parts it may have with it:
air cleaner
fan shroud
tool roll
JAL and VIN tags

I see more than 3700 there easy.

As for your car.. im reasonably sure its lineage is clean.. but i am far less certain about other restorations.. as for workmanship.. each to their own.
regarding the "restoration" project i saw in melbourne .. when i saw it i struggled to believe how bad it was.. when i found out who sold it to the person and the price i was horrified.. and at one point i had thought of buying a "project" from that member.. and for similar money.. i am so glad i didnt.

Admittedly, there may be an amount of salvagable equipment in the poor Tiger, but how much more money do you poor into the few bits to get them looking and/or working at their best. But hey, if someone buys it and can salvage their moneys worth from it, go for it.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Admittedly, there may be an amount of salvagable equipment in the poor Tiger, but how much more money do you poor into the few bits to get them looking and/or working at their best. But hey, if someone buys it and can salvage their moneys worth from it, go for it.

Regards, Robin.

I guess it depends on the toal value of a tiger.. if you are missing those parts for a legit tiger.. or were building an alger its quite cheap. The seller would be better off breaking the car for spares.. i guess on 1 level we are luck he isnt.. maybe someon with time and skill will give it a shot.

Lets be hypothetical.. say you were someone involved in restoring sunbeams, you buy this car for 4K buy a nice straight SV alpine for lets say 5K.. you are at 9K. then you cut and weld parts across paint, trim (though your alpine will most likely have some decent trim.. then charge someone $35KUS.. or if you are in australia you will get hit for 60-80K AUD for your "freshly restored tiger". Not something i condone,.. but things that happen. I hope it goes as parts to someone missing bits on their tiger.. or to someone who will try and save it.. or openly build an alger.. but.. chances are.. the seller will pass it on without disclosing the VIN and JAL to everyone.. and it will reappear somewhere as the aforementioned "fresh restoration"

66Tiger

Donation Time
Actually...someone could buy this Tiger...sell the Tiger parts...then construct a car like the guy (Peter Glenk) is building with the BMW IRS Rearend (see the Modified Alpine postings on this subject).

No Alpines or Tigers would be harmed.

As much as I like my Tiger...I just wish I could cut it up some to further improve the breed, but then that defeats some of the reason for owning a Tiger and not a cross-breed.

Paul

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
...or you could take this one and combine it with the crashed green Tiger that was recently advertised for sale...