• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger Plug Change

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Tiger Owners,

I have eight new spark plugs and over the weekend I am going to undertake my first Tiger plug change. For those that have already done this before, are there any tips or tricks for a novice (wrench type or easier ways)?

Thanks, Robin.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I assume you're is a RHD car so the driver's side will be the worst part for you. The other side, with no steering column in the way, should be fairly easy. Pull the generator to make it a bit easier, and check the belt while you're at it. Reaching around the column with a plug tool isn't to terrible but depending on the size of your hands be prepared to have trouble getting the back couple boots back on the plugs. I found that to be a hassle doing mine, I just couldn't get my hand in there.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. To remove/refit the rear plugs, will a standard ratchet and plug socket fit ok?

Thanks, Robin.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Back when I had my Tiger (in college!) I remember changing that left rear plug... seems I did it with a standard plug socket, but mine had a hex on the top of it so I could put a box-end wrench on it... this made it short enough to get into the tight space. The alternative, of course, was to remove the rubber plug on the transmission tunnel and lay on the floor - but I was lazy in those days, and was over 6' tall, so that wasn't very appealing.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Yes a standard one will fit, but you may need one of the short extensions, like 3-4 inches. Can't use a standard size, too long and no extension can be too short to swing the ratchet. You'll have to experiment a bit since mine's LHD and I don't have the column in the way on the R/H side so our experiences won't be exactly the same. Note the plugs on that side angle forward so there's no hole inside to reach through like on the L/H side for the rear plug.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I didn't do mine on a RHD car, but would one of these type of sockets with a box wrench work for you?

47469.JPG

And for close-quarters I have two wrenches in my kit that I absolutely love...

One is a non-ratcheting 3/8" drive wrench with a one-way clutch bearing instead of a ratchet/pawl system... this means it will still turn the socket, even with the very smallest swing area. Now, you can't apply high torque loads to this wrench, but it really does the job in tight spaces. Mine doesn't look like this one - it is just chrome, no big handle - but you get the idea:

BRIA77.jpg

The second tool, which you will have to pry out of my cold, dead fingers, is my Cornwell shorty 3/8" ratchet (model TR-32). Cornwell makes, IMHO, the best all-chrome ratchets in the business, and this one fits neatly in the palm of my hand. Essentially, it's a 3/8" drive ratchet fitted into a 1/4" drive handle, resulting in a ratchet that's only 5" long. The shape of Cornwell chrome handles have a very curvy pattern that greatly reduce the stress on your joints, too. (I don't like ratchets with plastic handles - too bulky). Cornwell ratchet wrenches can be seen here. They also make a shorter one - JRS-30 - but it's only 1/2 inch shorter than the TR-32 and I can't see the reason for it.

Cornwell ratchets:

Attachments

• JDV8208_(23).JPG
    JDV8208_(23).JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 8

Jim E

Donation Time
Robin,
You sure you need to do this... got a lot of miles on the plugs that are in it or a problem, changing the heat range? You might pull a couple of the easy to get to plugs and see how they look. Just a thought.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Gee I thought to change plugs on a stock tiger wasn't that hard.No special tools at all.Yes I did have a stock tiger so I do know.
Hard is changing plugs on the Lister with the 351.Usually takes about 2 hours.Remove the coil on the drivers side.remove the plug in the interior,remove brace on the passenger side.Use a good universal on the socket.Re install the brace and coil.
I use Bosch Platinum to keep this job at an absolute minimum

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Speaking of rachets, I've got one that allows you to twist the handle like a screwdriver to rotate the socket. While you can't apply max torque that way, it is quite handy in tight spaces. I think it's a "Husky" from Home Depot.

Ken

64beam

Donation Time
Robin,
You sure you need to do this... got a lot of miles on the plugs that are in it or a problem, changing the heat range? You might pull a couple of the easy to get to plugs and see how they look. Just a thought.

Hi Jim,

I probably don't need to and yes the Tiger has done quite a few miles on the current plugs. I purchased some of the 'V groove' plugs which are better than the standard plug type. I have also gone down one heat range. Every little bit counts I suppose.

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Thank you all for sharing some of your experiences and handy tools for making our lives a little bit easier (well maybe not when it comes to changing plugs on a Tiger ;) ). I have a reasonably extensive tool collection, so I am sure I will have something that will suit.

Thanks again, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi guys,

Well I replaced the plugs this afternoon and it wasn't as bad as what I initially thought. It is more fiddly than anything. I think the plug gaps were a little on the big side on the old plugs (at least 1mm). The WSM states .8 to .9 mm. What do others set their plug gaps to?

Thanks, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
the most important question.. rob.. how long did it take?

Hi Michael,

It probably took approximately 45 minutes, but I had to get a new spark plug lead as the number one leads decided to break when taking it off the plug. Ford should have designed the heads so that all the plugs pointed forward. Would make it alot easier to work on. Having a remote master cylinder would also be handy.

Regards, Robin.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Robin,

The Ford small block was not designed for the Tiger. As we know, someone decided to cram it into an Alpine and had to make changes to the body in order to accommodate the small block.

It would take two different head castings in order to have all the plugs point forward and that would cost a ton of money, and for sure, someone would put the heade on backwards, when rebuilding their engine.

Jose :)

Hi Michael,

It probably took approximately 45 minutes, but I had to get a new spark plug lead as the number one leads decided to break when taking it off the plug. Ford should have designed the heads so that all the plugs pointed forward. Would make it alot easier to work on. Having a remote master cylinder would also be handy.

Regards, Robin.