• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger on ebay

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
There is a tiger for sale on ebay via Bring a trailer, I hope someone that knows more about these cars can tell me, that the serial# and TAC# is not listed on the Norm Miller site, The serial # seems odd B9201028 with the TAC # 0758 and was done in 2012 going by the certificate that is shown in the pictures on ebay. Could this be a Alger?:confused:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964...Item=&item=281183530677&forcev4exp=true#v4-46

Last edited:

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Tiger???

After reading seller's description and looking at the photos, I have some reservations about this one. A number is missing out of the serial number listed. The shifter, boot and ring are not Tiger items and the location of the shifter is suspect. The Tigers I have owned and looked at over the years had a round extension on the left side/rear of the transmission tunnel where the shifter boot and ring is mounted and it was slightly flat in that location. Lots of photos of the body work but few good photos of the engine bay and trunk and no photos of underneath the car. I suspect there's a reason for the lack of better photo documentation. I doubt that the TAC guys would allow a deficient serial number to appear on one of their certificates. I also noticed that there are no photos of the serial number or the JAL number. If the seller wanted to promote authenticity I would think he or she would have photo documented those items. Let the buyer beware!!

alpine_64

Donation Time
Lets clarify the TAC process a little... it has nothing to do with VIN and JAL's.. what they are looking for is an original Jensen modified Tiger body. You can get a TAC without a VIN at all or with a state assigned one. What they want to see is that the body shows sufficient signs of being an original rootes Tiger.

As for the shifter.. seen plenty of cars over time with those mustang style square shifter plate and boot and normally they throw in a hurst shifter handle etc.. its just personal preference (or poor detailing depending how you look at it :rolleyes:)

What you want to do is see if it appears on the STOA list and if not or norms site contact Norm to check f the car has been TAC'd.. but the certificate looked legit.. shows the Alpine SII VIN and is signed by the inspectors back in 2010.. its got a real Tiger body.. it has a JAL wonder what its original VIN was.. norm will know.. wonder where that tag or numbers are now... .

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I have been in contact with Norm and he is watching it it seems to be a scam with a $1000.00 non refundable on it. The serial number listed on the TAC certificate is that of the SIII Alpines. I hope no one gets burned!:cool:

alpine_64

Donation Time
I have been in contact with Norm and he is watching it it seems to be a scam with a $1000.00 non refundable on it. The serial number listed on the TAC certificate is that of the SIII Alpines. I hope no one gets burned!:cool:

George... my bad on the VIN b90 = SI, b91 = SII b92 = S3 :p

did norm say it is a TAC'd car and he suspects its a scam auction... or he said its a scam TAC certificate and auction?

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
If it gets known for certain that this is a scam I wonder if a comment on the listing should be posted to warn someone unsuspecting.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Can't have a non refundable option

With Paypal if that is how deposit is to be made. Norm, or Graham in UK have the Jensen Ledgers but there is chatter of additional guys when visiting the archives obtaining copies.

The car does have lots of issues to be sure. IDK how we will ever know for sure unless we go to feedback on this transaction that is posted.

The inspectors name and numbers are on the S.T.O.A. website. If someone were truly interested they should look up the senior inspector as listed on the cert.

The car is missing way too much stuff is from the great wet North and only a fool would buy such a vehicle without seeing in person and without a check of its provenance. If I had a interest I'd pick up a CAT roster and see who was close to this car to see in person. If you'd like a good read go to the UK Tiger thread read the re shelling thread, the stories of cars that have had more work done then Cher but still started life as a Tiger. Would you buy a car that has been clipped front and rear?

It's too bad this thread was not started on CAT or T.E.A.E as knowledge is power and a little hard detective work would tell. I'd say this one is close to diminishing returns.

But that said CAT forum has enjoyed a nube forum member and not member of CAT posting warnings on a car that he had allegedly personally seen. I called him on it and all we have heard is crickets chirping. This guy had 6 posts on CAT and be clear I am not drawing any similarity to the thread here. The lengths some will go to is truly amazing or Awesome as the e bay seller in question would say. There is a fella in the same area code as this guy's car that has been spamming all West Coast Craigslist with wanted ads offering several 1000's for rusted wrecked or other parts. He uses generic web gathered images. All this poster does is inflate the prices of Alpine and any other P.O.S. ha ha Piece Of Sunbeam for the rest of us.

http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=2429

Link was held up on CAT as was in the for sale section req'd moderator approval. Here is a copy of the vin tag

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
My bad

Just saw it good work George,
I do not go to the East site much. I Googled the phone number and did not get good results.

The fact that a TAC does not show on any online list is not significant. STOA is a volunteer org. and a darn good one.

Did anyone call this seller?

I mean if the guy is dishonest he is also dumb. With the number of unclaimed cars out there why would he pick a Alpine tag. Why would he not go state issued ID rather and say the car is a Tiger when it is plain as day it has a Alpine Tag.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
ebay

when a car undergoes a tac inspection the main thing is to verify that the body was originally a tiger. there was a car at the united at French Lick indiana a couple years ago that was a rolling shell. it had no drive train at all. it was given a tac certificate. the body was an original tiger. I had this talk with an inspector yesterday and there have been cars certified that have alpine vin tags. this must be one of them.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Suspect Tiger

I wrote to the fellow and asked him for the VIN--he replied it was listed in the ad. I told him it does not match any Tiger Vin that I know of, maybe a mistake. . . no response.
Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sold

Look at the bidding history. A zero feedback buyer gets in and shills the price up into the 30's

What a load of rubbish. Maybe it is someone's car that was once stolen and then had a Alpine tag scabbed on to it. Remember back then there was no record of id elements recorded by DMV's or even insurance companies. Trouble here is it can't be proven either way who's car it may once have been. I remember my heart skipping a beat when I asked a registry holder about a Tiger rear end and he told me to check with a guy in San Pedro Ca. who just had a car stolen with the same #. I wish he would of told me that more than one car had the same rear end #. It worried me sick for a day or so till I learned that I had not been buying stolen parts on e bay from a guy parting out a seemingly viable restoration project.

Who could be happy driving it. Even if the last 3 buyers were all good faith misled it still is bad news.

I am resisting the urge to continue O/T on the TAC process. It is a great program I have my car TAC'ed and would suggest all do the same before you put your Tiger in for any major work.

This auction will stay on ebay for 90 days. I bet the 46 feedback guy gets a 2nd chance offer. Or it goes around again and no feedback is left.

Member Id: d***k ( 0 ) US $32,100.00
Oct-12-13 18:13:40 PDT

Member Id: k***h ( 46Feedback score is 10 to 49) US $32,000.00
Oct-12-13 18:13:54 PDT

Member Id: d***k ( 0 ) US $31,100.00
Oct-12-13 18:13:22 PDT

Member Id: 1***a ( 20Feedback score is 10 to 49) US $31,000.00
Oct-12-13 18:12:45 PDT

Member Id: k***h ( 46Feedback score is 10 to 49) US $29,999.00
Oct-12-13 18:12:33 PDT

artic cat

Donation Time
when a car undergoes a tac inspection the main thing is to verify that the body was originally a tiger. there was a car at the united at French Lick indiana a couple years ago that was a rolling shell. it had no drive train at all. it was given a tac certificate. the body was an original tiger. I had this talk with an inspector yesterday and there have been cars certified that have alpine vin tags. this must be one of them.

that was my car and I was relieved it passed, as I bought it already disassembled (cat in a box) and supposedly ready for paint (not). I also only knew of a few basic things to look for. but as you say all that is needed is the proper body to pass. good for me cause I paid to much for an alger and fair to a good price for that condition tiger. tach no 0936.