• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger Air Cleaner needed

Beamin Dave

Silver Level Sponsor
I need an original air cleaner top and bottom for our newest Tiger. Please contact me.
Dave Green
Tucson, Az. :p

cbroadbooks

Donation Time
Yeah. Good luck with that. I've spent over a year trying to locate an original.

There's a bottom portion on eBay right now:
Item No.: 260596472584

The last complete one that went through eBay went for $835. It's item number was 290409156671. I used esnipe to put a maximum bid in the final 4 seconds as I was out of town. It was at $600 when I left, so I figured I'd add 33%, and that should do the trick. My bid was $825. So close, but yet so far!!!

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Some one at the Invasion had some repos, they were in fiberglass and they looked real, at first I thought it was the real thing, you may consider this as it would be much cheaper than the real thing.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
There's one of those fiberglass air cleaners on eBay right now, actually.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sunb...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

!BtB(bM!CWk~$(KGrHqYH-CYEvEyP!!jvBL6M!Bm2lg~~_12.JPG

Duke

Donation Time
Will fiberglass take chrome?

Real is better. Remember, only the top is chromed per the LAT option. The bottom should be gray hammerite.

alpine_64

Donation Time
yes.. but not via elctroplating... you can soft chrome them, or use the painted chrome (not cheap but good) just not sure it will deal with under bonnet temps in a tiger

Sownman

Donation Time
My real air cleaner was chromed by PO. I would like to return the bottom to hammertone. Anyone done that ? In looking at the pic of the plastic copy the hammertone seems far more complex than just paint, or is there a paint that has the mottled appearence ?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Simple stuff, Sownman. It's just Hammerite paint. Spray it on, and it will automatically develop an hammered finish, just like you see on the factory air cleaner base.

You can get it at some of the better hardware stores or on-line. It's wonderful paint, and really does help prevent rust.

Here's a colour chart:

http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=44

I think Hammerite Silver Gray is the one you'll need for that air cleaner, but several other colors were used on LBC's - light blue, gray, and mid-green can be found on everything from Austins to Wolsleys.

Oh... and BTW, don't get fooled by Rustoleum's 'hammered' paints... it is NOT the same stuff, and is pretty much crap in comparison.

And one trick with using Hammerite spray - SHAKE THE CAN *WELL* before you start - much more than you usually would - and keep shaking it every few minutes as you spray. And the stuff solves with 1,1,1-trichloroethane, *not* with normal solvents.

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Quote "Oh... and BTW, don't get fooled by Rustoleum's 'hammered' paints... it is NOT the same stuff, and is pretty much crap in comparison." Kevin, are you saying that the Rustoleum is crap or the Hammerite is crap? I've used the Rustoleum and it is holding up great and looks pretty good too. I get it at Home Depot or Lowes.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm saying that the Rustoleum is crap, in comparison to how good the 'real' Hammerite is. If you try both you'll know - the Hammerite is so much smoother and more 'factory like' than the Rustoleum, and it lasts longer (more durable) too (chipping, rust resistance, etc.).

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The Eastwood Company has the correct Hammertone paint, I used it on my Tiger air cleaner 20 years ago and still looks great!:cool:

Jeff Howarth

Donation Time
Tiger air cleaner - original

Hi Dave,

I have one listedon ebay right now 5jun12010 - finishes sunday.
Its one I had for my car - but my car will never be standard so I have decided to sell it.

regards

Jeff