• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

This isn't your Dad's green

Doobs

Donation Time
Lookin sweet John....i actually saw that vid a few hours ago....sure likin that H.O.K. paint...i can just imagine my scarlet with the same brilliance !!!!:D

Doobs

Donation Time
Did you use the GREY or SILVER base? I couldnt tell from the vid??

Is that H.O.K. Kandy Organic green ?? on Orion Silver base perhaps ??

I like the silver base...it gives more brilliance when the sun hits it !!! IMO

afssanders

Donation Time
Vids

Sometimes it takes me time to post here, but you have it pretty well figured out. I post on my mnwheelers, then post here.
HOK is second to none on the wow factor. It pops like no other. If you need help with the paint let me know. I've been experimenting with HOK colors for quite a few years now.

Lookin sweet John....i actually saw that vid a few hours ago....sure likin that H.O.K. paint...i can just imagine my scarlet with the same brilliance !!!!:D

Attachments

• IMG_1329.JPG
    IMG_1329.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 51

afssanders

Donation Time
Base coat color

The base is 4 parts galaxy grey 2 parts orion silver and 1 part lapis blue.

After the base color was down. I through on 2 coats of black diamond(MBC) which was 2 parts SG-100 and 1 part black diamond(MBC), because if I didn't dilute it in the SG-100, it would be over powering and end up much darker, that's why I have 2 parts orion silver and not 1 part. Without the black diamond(MBC) I could of easily got away with 1 part orion silver. By the way SG-100 is a clear base coat and very handy for mixing custom blends of paint.

Did you use the GREY or SILVER base? I couldnt tell from the vid??

Is that H.O.K. Kandy Organic green ?? on Orion Silver base perhaps ??

Attachments

• IMG_1320.JPG
    IMG_1320.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 84

Doobs

Donation Time
Hope you dont mind....I copied this and I will give it to my paint guy..he will know what you mean..as he was one that painted my porches and VW's back in the day...and of course we will just insert my Scarlet into the equation !!!:D

The base is 4 parts galaxy grey 2 parts orion silver and 1 part lapis blue.

After the base color was down. I through on 2 coats of black diamond(MBC) which was 2 parts SG-100 and 1 part black diamond(MBC), because if I didn't dilute it in the SG-100, it would be over powering and end up much darker, that's why I have 2 parts orion silver and not 1 part. Without the black diamond(MBC) I could of easily got away with 1 part orion silver. By the way SG-100 is a clear base coat and very handy for mixing custom blends of paint.

afssanders

Donation Time
MBC magilacudy

That MBC(Metallic Base Coat) does have a sweet effect. If I was to try it again I would probably go with a KBC(Kandy Base Coat) Throw down a little SG-100 Black Diamond magilacudy mix again, then go with a little KK(Kandy Koncentrate in the SG and top it off with some Kosmic Klear. You end up painting less with pretty decent effect.

How do like the lingo. I've been doing this sh!t for too long now.

Doobs

Donation Time
I was followin ya..but you lost me at the magilacudy mix LOL:p

That MBC(Metallic Base Coat) does have a sweet effect. If I was to try it again I would probably go with a KBC(Kandy Base Coat) Throw down a little SG-100 Black Diamond magilacudy mix again, then go with a little KK(Kandy Koncentrate in the SG and top it off with some Kosmic Klear. You end up painting less with pretty decent effect.

How do like the lingo. I've been doing this sh!t for too long now.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Hey, that's Mountain Dew Metallic isn't it? :)

Just kiddin. Looks pretty good and very glad to see color on it at last. Bet you are too.

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

GREAT COLOR
Reminded me of a story from my youth.

Back in the 60's I was partners in a custom paint shop, we painted a full dress Harley Davidson almost this exact color. We were the only shop in Louisiana that was doing Metal Flake. I used a gold base, with a lot of large gold flake. We could only get silver or gold flake at that time. We had to mix a candy color for the actual color of the car. Everything back then was the old Nitro-cellulose Lacquer, usually Ditzler. It looked great as does your car.
But some local biker came up with a name for the color that stuck; "Caterpillar
Gut Green". At that time there was a superstition that green bikes were unlucky. After a few months he had us repaint it black.
Lee

afssanders

Donation Time
rims/tires

Thank you

The rims are Buddy's. The size is 17X7 with a 42mm front offset. The front tire size is 215/35 and the back is 215/45. They do not rub while turning the wheel or bottoming out.

looks real sweet john! great job!!!

socorob

Donation Time
I love those rims. Did you enlarge your fender cutouts any? do you think those will work on a stock alpine body and suspension?

afssanders

Donation Time
Wheels

I did not enlarge the opening. I did a little cutting in the back, about a 1/2" on the top to 0 toward the bottom. In the front I turned the lip on the top of the fender in. Sort of like a loose hem.
I think that they would fit a stock Sunbeam. I was lucky enough to find the wheels un-drilled. They don't usually come in a 108mm or 4-1/4" bolt pattern. I bought them from a company off Ebay. A full blown tire shop in FL, so I got the rubber I wanted too. I lucked out.

I'm digging up his Ebay store as I type. Here yah go

http://stores.ebay.com/EUROTIRES-BEST-DEAL-ON-NEW-TIRES

I love those rims. Did you enlarge your fender cutouts any? do you think those will work on a stock alpine body and suspension?