• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Thermostats

snamelc

Donation Time
Has anyone successfully used one of those Stewart/Robert Shaw high performance thermostats? My stock thermostat is due to be replaced and I'd like to reduce the flow restriction from that of the stock unit. Wide open actually presents very little in the way of an opening.

Bill

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Has anyone successfully used one of those Stewart/Robert Shaw high performance thermostats? My stock thermostat is due to be replaced and I'd like to reduce the flow restriction from that of the stock unit. Wide open actually presents very little in the way of an opening.

Bill

Might be Kind of a moot point as when the thermostat is wide open, sometimes the water velocity is too high to get proper contact with either the engine, or the radiator, and cooling efficiency drops off, sometimes even causing pump cavitation.

A proper functioning cooling system should never see the thermostat full open, as this indicates that the system is running open loop.

If your cooling system is bad enough you feel you want to resort to this, you probably have other things to fix.