• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Thermostat housing mod

altered

Donation Time
I've searched and can't come up with anything on modifying the 2.8 thermostat housing. Can anyone give me some direction? From the pictures I've seen it looks like it's cut and turned, but what angle and is it weldable?

Thanks, Trevor.

gordonra

Donation Time
Hi Trevor,
I'd like to capture some photos of it myself, because I don't think I took any of mine. It's a bit hard to get good photos once installed because the alternator gets in the way.

The piece is made of cast aluminum, and is weld-able by TIG, aluminum MIG, or, if you are pretty good, you may be able to do it with aluminum braze rod. If you are not experienced and competent with any of the above methods, you will be extremely well off to have it done by a pro. Some of the guys will probably chime in with the name of a guy that's doing it for a reasonable fee.

The nipple needs to be cut off at an angle, then rotated and welded back on. If you desire a heater hose connection, that needs to be relocated as well.

I'll try to get a photo of mine. But perhaps someone will post one prior to being installed.

Rich

kmathis

Donation Time
I've searched and can't come up with anything on modifying the 2.8 thermostat housing. Can anyone give me some direction? From the pictures I've seen it looks like it's cut and turned, but what angle and is it weldable?

Thanks, Trevor.

Hi, Trevor:

Jim Moyer does this mod for about 40.00; if you would like, e-mail him and I am sure he would be glad to do it for you. I sent mine to him and asked for the V6 Jose modification and he sent it back looking like it came from the factory that way. I worked perfect.

http://www.moyermade.com/about-us.html

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
When you communicate with Jim Moyer, you will also need to tell him if you intend on using the heater in your Alpine so he can modify it accordingly.

You won't find a better welder anywhere. His welding is art work.

Jose

altered

Donation Time
I have a machine shop right next door to my office with a full time TIG welder so I will just take it to them and avoid shipping costs and dealing with customs. Any idea what degree that cut is?

Thanks, Trevor.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Trevor,

The angle is 45 degrees. If you want to use your heater, the heater hose nipple needs to be cut off of it's original position, and welded to the side of the square boss it originally is part of. The nillpe then should be welded to the side of the boss, then drill out the hole for the nipple. You can't weld it to the top of the boss, because the alternator sits just over the thermostat housing position, and you wouldn't be ble to get the heater hose on it.

Jose

I have a machine shop right next door to my office with a full time TIG welder so I will just take it to them and avoid shipping costs and dealing with customs. Any idea what degree that cut is?

Thanks, Trevor.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Trevor, based on my crude measurement it looks to be a 45* cut. You also want to be aware of the angle of the lower radiator outlet as well.
Did you get the pictures?

tommyc

Donation Time
thermostat housing

Hi Trevor---tommyc here

I need to do the thermostat housing alteration. Could you send me the pictures if you still have them.

Thanks....Tommy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

If you don´t have someone to modify your thermostat housing, you might want to have my old fabricator do it for you. His work is impecable, and he knows exactly what needs to be done to make it work perfectly in your conversion. His contact info is:

Jim Moyer
85 Maggie Flats Rd.
Boyds, WA. 99107

(509) 738-2855

jmoyer at inwi dot net

Many of the guys have had him do this mod for them, and they were very pleased with his work. Most of these housings are made of pot metal, which is a bit hard to weld, but some have even been made from cast iron, and when Jim has welded them, the guys say that looks like they came like that from the mold.

I don´t know what he is charging to do them now, but he has always been reasonable with his prices.

If you send him your housing, tell him if you intend on using the heater, so he can modify it accordingly.

Jose

kmathis

Donation Time
Jim Moyer did my T'stat housing mod and it looked like it had been done at the factory. That guy does great work and it was about 40 bucks including shipping.:)

mferris

Donation Time
Just spoke with Jim Moyer. Nice guy. He is still doing these, still at reasonable prices.

Sending mine off next week.

-Mike

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Got my thermostat housing back from Jim Moyer yesterday, he did a fantastic job, piece looks better than new, highly recommended. Thanks all for providing his contact info.

- Garet

Dan Moore

Donation Time
Aerostar thermostat housing

Any one ever thought of using the thermostat housing from the Aerostar 2.8 it moves the housing to the top of the manifold ads a unusual bypass feature would need an adapter plate made as it is a two hole configuration 1/2 aluminium should do the trick 3 holes for manifold and 2 with blind bottoms for housing and some big holes for water passages . The hose that comes from the the back of the original thermostat position goes to the new housing leaving the hole in the offenhauser manifold to go to the heater core then return to a nozzle on the new housing on passenger side . Oh ya turn the new thermostat outlet (cover ) upside down. Water level is important would have to add a fill point in heater line as it is the high point in the Alpine

So what do you think should work???

Dan