• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Thermostat - drill hole?

gordonra

Donation Time
Seems to me that I recall some posts about drilling a small hole in the new thermostat when replacing, but when I search, can't find anything on it.

I did find a post that says you can use one for a Chey 350 and just pick your temp range.

Anyone confirm or deny this?

Rich

lemansvk

Donation Time
I believe I've heard of folk drilling a 1/8th hole in the Alpine theromstat - I did that once for a BMW 2002 to overcome a problem with the t'stat. In theory it shouldn't be necessary of course but then again theory doesn't always = practice. You can, of course, test whether a thermostat is functioning using a pan of water on a kitchen hotplate - I have heard of people discovering brand new t'stats that wouldn't open using this method.

Thermostats are 'generic' type products where one type will fit many cars. The thermostat in my Alpine is identical to that in my Holden Commodore and will fit a range of other vehicles. I would not be at all surprised to find that a Chevy thermostat will fit an Alpine. A decent parts place should have a range thermostats with different opening temperatures (the place I go to has the type of thermostat for the Alpine in 160/170/180/190 degrees).

Cheers, Vic

gordonra

Donation Time
On the later thermo housings, there is a hole to vent air, so why drill the thermostat?
Jan

Is there a part number or application I should look for?

I picked up one today at the local PepBoys (I hate that place) for a Chevy 350 that does not have the hole....

Rich