• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The Purpose of Dollies

Scott Rodrigues

Donation Time
I was reading through the site on my lunch break from work and I ran across some discussion on wheeled dollies under the tires. What's the purpose for them? Is it somehow bad to push an Alpine in neutral? I'm honestly curious.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Simply a way to move the car around in the shop when either not operational, or when storing in tight areas that you may not be able to drive to. Like if you'd like to move the car sideways to be closer to a wall or an area like that.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The first dollies I purchased for moving my Alpine was to put them under the rear wheels and use the steering wheel to turn the front in the direction I wanted to go. Then I purchased two more
so I could rotate a Sunbeam completely in a circle or move anywhere I needed. Works great and easily pushed.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Well, Hobo Freight dollies are cheap, you're right, but the wheels are so crappy, even just with an engine sitting on one they're hard to move around, so to have a car on one? Can't imagine it's easy to move. Maybe...………..

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Without the engine in the car it moved pretty easy. If I have trouble I'll upgrade the casters from Home Depot.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I bought the steel ones and the wheels go where they want not where I want them to go. Plus the floor gets wet and they rust stain the concrete where they sit. The sweetness of low price is long gone. Does anyone have the better ones with the nicer wheels and the little jack built in?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
IMHO the best value in dollies is the Sunnex ones from Summit. They have a jack, a brake, carrying handle, quality ball bearings and non-metallic wheels. They also don't use hydraulics, so there's zero maintenance.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sxt-7708/

You can also get a rack for the Sunnex dollies:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sxt-7709

OTC dollies are also good, and of similar design, but they don't have a brake, which is useful in pivoting cars in tight quarters and to provide safety (keeps car from rolling when you don't want it to).

As with any tools, ya get what ya pay for. My dad always told me to buy the best tools you can afford and you'll never regret it... and I never have.

Last edited:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It always amazes me when I see a car that's got to that state. I think back to the time that it was all shiny and brand new, and the proud owner was terrified of that first scratch or ding. How ever did it get so decayed? Sigh......

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
A Tiger needs to be really, really gone before I'll part it out and cut it up. That said, this B9 MKI was totally gone and beyond feasible/economical resurrection. The floor frame and X-frame were completely rioted away and practically every panel, including the inner fenders and wells, were mangled. The car had been hit in the rear and the frame was bent into the shelf area behind the driver's seat. We cut it at the a-pillar, rolled the back half over, plucked anything worth saving and scrapped the rest. Having spent the last 25+ years in a West Virginia field, the tin worms got the best of it ….. just the way I like to find 'em!

This only the fourth Tig I've cannibalized and, even tho its pretty bad, I've parted worse.

No, no TACing on this carcass. But I have another I'm dragging out of a field in a few months that deserves a better fate as it could be brought back from near-death. I'll get a title, have it TAC'd and offer it as a restorable rolling legit shell with an original Tiger rear and front suspension.

Everybody ….. please hoist a pint in memory of this now-departed cat and honor it for the goodies it offers to keep/get others "on the road".

Regards, Mark ….. volvoguys

mikephillips

Donation Time
Reminds me of an Alpine I was given years ago that had been a field car. No floors, x frame at all, and the hood folded up unto a U when opened. Doors and fenders were rusted off up to where the Tiger side trim would have been. So the same thing, grabbed what was usable and scrapped the rest

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is a good use for the little 4 wheeled dollies......just balance them well and don't move very fast.

Attachments

• Engine Dollies - Creepers      20190912_121321.jpg
    Engine Dollies - Creepers 20190912_121321.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Engine Dollies - Creepers      20190912_121052.jpg
    Engine Dollies - Creepers 20190912_121052.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 32