• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The latest acquisition

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Good to see that you are enjoying your new edition :) . I like the first (top) picture with the mountain in the background with the setting sun (great profile shot). I see what you mean about the front sitting high (surely Lotus don't rely on the spare being in position for it to sit flat :eek: ).

Regards, Robin.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, I'll relieve you of your misery - the fuel filters, on early cars, were located under the fuel tanks. And as you may note, there is *no* access to the bottom of the fuel tank - it's a flat bit of fiberglass! So... essentially, they are completely inaccessible unless you drill a dirty big hole in in the bottom of the fiberglass. However, this is easily done - I used to make up a kit and sell it to owners and shops - it consisted of a large rubber bung (which, interestingly, had been sourced from the Elan and Europa where it was also used as an access cover), a template and a hole saw. Worked great. Place template, drill hole, replace filter, install bung. On later cars the factory got wise and moved the filter. I've been away from Lotus for many years now, so I don't know if those 4" rubber bungs are still available. But if I were to do it today I'd likely use a more solid fitting, like a deck plate access port, as often used on boats:

901035.jpg

As to the car riding high, yes, you've got it exactly - the tyre and rim are pretty heavy and that will definitely pull the front down... the front is lightly sprung as there's not much weight up there.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I figured it pretty much had to be the spare, it didn't sit like that in Florida or for the pics I took after the basic clean up.

Wow. Fuel filter challenge wasn't a joke. Now to figure out which side. Thanks a lot for the info, I'll see what I can find for access panels to fit. Maybe the Esprit Forum guys have a standard solution. Your input is valued, many thanks.

Not that it's a thing of beauty, but the interior has been getting better as well. The Fittipaldi wheel pretty much went right in and the column work and rearrangement of the stalks was value added. I am searching for Lotus emblems to replace the, ahem, Saab emblem in the wheel. It fit well both in my Alpine and my 900 SPG. Now it's in the Esprit. I wouldn't have expected that.

cnv2009.jpg

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Update, I did the taillamps, and like the amber turns a lot better. Installed front turns, not sure if anyone noticed but any front shots posted earlier will look devoid of turn signals. Spent many hours on the engine bay thursday, looking better and have made some improvements as well.

s1swlmesprithomejune09r.jpg

Front turns don't show very well, but at least they're in place now.
s1swlmespritjune09lf1.jpg

s1swlmespritengine26jun.jpg

Through the side window before putting the engine cover back on:
s1swlmespritengineviawi.jpg

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
The Lotus made it's first car event public appearance at the still somewhat new Phoenix Cars and Coffee at Bondurants place. If it hadn't been so bloody hot it might have had a better turn out. 8 am and it was miserable. Can't wait for fall/winter....

phxcarsncoffeejul2009.jpg

phxcarsncoffeejul2009c.jpg

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
BTW, all this time I am trying to get the Alpine running again as well. Rear brakes are done, got new wheels and tires at that time as well. Fuel system was drained/cleaned out, carbs rebuilt and now it needs front calipers rebuilt, a water pump (it's trying to leak on my Esprit!) and a radiator cap (never had one disintegrate in my hand when removed). SO the parts are all here, hoses, belt, rad cap, water pump. And I am pretty sure I have the caliper kit, although I should probably get new pistons. Researching that at the moment. Checking into the suggestion to get the TR4 ones from Moss.....