• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

thank you

65beam

Donation Time
thank you mr president steve. you belong in D.C. your attitude is showing that you don't agree so shut it off at once if people disagree or question what is said. internal politics are showing!

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
The club is yours.... best regards,

My involvement with SAOCA is concluded.

Steven Silverstein

65beam

Donation Time
steve,
don't get excited! chill! understand that some folks agree to disagree. it's a way of life. the same guys that disagree from time to time would help each other if the need arose. many times disagreements bring a lot of good info. look at the detailed info one member seems to come up with if someone disagrees with him. it's human nature with strong willed people. it all works out in the end. different folks, different attitudes, different feelings but the same feelings for sunbeams. that's what it all about!

RootesRich

Donation Time
Bob,
I suspect you missed portions of the thread. Perhaps there was an underlying disagreement as you state, but it had deteriorated to petty and childish name calling. The SAOCA is better than that and as such the thread needed to be wiped.
You've been active in the SAOCA for a very long time as well as I have. We both know many of the players and their respective idiosyncrasies. However, take a moment and think what someone who's viewing the Forum for the first few times would think when a thread dissolves into prepubescent playground behavior. We're supposed to be a Forum dedicated to the preservation of our favorite LBC and that thread was far from our goal of promoting the Alpine marque.

65beam

Donation Time
rich,
i don't miss anything. as i said ,strong minds disagree. what happened is over and done. they move on! " what if ?" is an often used phrase that makes me say " what if it doesn't". if we have a person get on the forum and can't stand to see someone disagree then they live in a very small ,protected world. i had many employees over the years with that attitude. they didn't last. did you notice that i'm disagreeing with you? and i don't care to disagree on a world wide site. strong disagreements and such will always happen. it's a way of life! and yes i have been around a long time. i still have my charter member shirt. it just doesn't fit anymore.

agmason54

Donation Time
Hey Steve,
I think you made the right call....
You don't have to explain yourself to anyone.
We're all nuts to even mess with Sunbeams anyway.
I hope you remain President!!!!!!,
Al

martin

Donation Time
Being involved in the running of an internet forum and club is a thankless task.
No matter what you do, someone disagrees with it, most of your efforts are not noticed or recognised. It is a hard job.

I don't know what has happened to prompt this as I was most probably asleep but the whole idea of having forum/club staff is to make these judgement calls.

I know of forums where it's all out war all the time because they are not correctly moderated and the outside World's view is of a bunch of petty dickheads who they don't want to be involved with.

I come on here every day as it is informative, interesting and a friendly place to be, even if I don't post anything.
I'm a noob to this Sunbeam lark and haven't got much to contribute.

From this all I can conclude is that Steve etal are doing a very good job in the running of this place just the way it is and long may it stay that way.

If there is anyone who doesn't agree, well, you know what to do.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Dear Forum,
Sorry for all the trouble. I appreciate all the e-mails and support. You’re right; I’m the adult in this situation and should have just ignored it all. From now on, that’s just what I will do. Man, I could take a few lessons from Tina Turner………..

“Hit me again Ike, and this time put some STANK on it!â€

I tend to fight back when I should just lie down. I need to keep thing in perspective when it comes to entitlements and those that are less fortunate. Redistribution of wealth is the new phrase on the hill, I need to get with it.

Attachments

• ike_tina%20turner2.jpg
    ike_tina%20turner2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 14

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve,
Thank for all the time effort and support you have put into the club over the years.

I will be posting a statement on the clubs website policy over the weekend. I would like to say this name calling, negative comments etc. should not be on this Forum. This is a forum to promote and preserve the Alpine. If you do not have something nice to say do not post on this forum.

Steven Kirk

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
I do hope that you will remain as President, Steve. You've always had a lot to offer the club and you are a very enthusiastic ambassador of the Sunbeam community. Your contribution is greatly appreciated.

On the subject of forum moderation, I'm a member of another forum on the SOEC site (Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club). I also lurk on a couple of other Mustang and Ford forums. The SOEC has a "one-warning" policy against the kind of stuff that seemingly happens here on a daily basis. That doesn't mean that there cannot be any dissention between the members; that's obviously going to happen whenever you get a number of people together. What it DOES mean is that the sarcastic and caustic comments are not tolerated, no matter what and without exception. Anyone on that forum who partakes in that brand of communication is given one warning and a chance to change their tune. If it happens again, they are dismissed from the forum...end of discussion. It is my opinion that this is what must be adopted for this forum. The bottom line here is that this is a Sunbeam forum dedicated to Sunbeam enthusiasts. It should be a supportive and friendly place where help and assistance can be freely given without the fear of a personal verbal attack from someone with a differing opinion.

I read your earlier post in this thread, Paul, and I appreciated your apology. It's obvious that you and Al had a bit of a controversy going; shoot, everyone gets wound up now and then but an apology like yours shows your ultimate strength of character and goes a long way to fostering a better, stronger forum. I, for one, appreciate your efforts and input on this forum.

Bob...I'll take the bull by the horns here, so to speak, and ask you to please apologize to the comments you made directly to Steve. As Martin mentioned in an earlier post, being a forum moderator is indeed a thankless job. Steve has graciously donated his time and enthusiasm to this club in spite of the fact that he has a family to raise and a career to build. I'm sure that he doesn't have time to spend dealing with issues like this, and he most assuredly doesn't need to be sarcastically criticized for his actions. Rest assured, if you were a member of the SOEC forum, you would have already been warned and then banned for your recent comments. You can flame me for offering my opintion if you want to, but I believe that you owe Steve a personal apology, as well as an apology to the forum members in general. And, in the future, please try to keep a friendly and supportive attitude when you post on this forum.

To the members in general, I would urge you all to contact the administrators of the SAOCA and tell them that you would all appreciate a much tougher stance on forum abuse. Let's get this forum back on the track that it was intended to be on, shall we? To any newbies out there reading this thread...please don't hesitate to join in on any discussion. We are all dedicated to the preservation and enjoyment of Sunbeams and would appreciate your input and enthusiasm.

Respectfully,

RootesRich

Donation Time
Andy, as far as I'm concerned you're 100% correct on your summation. Sadly, I suspect you'll now be flamed by the 2 percenters on the Forum as has been my experience over the years. I suspect I will be too for publicly agreeing with you.
I don't believe we've ever had the pleasure of meeting and I hope one day we do, but you've gained my respect.

Regards,

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Andy,
I like this

"Anyone on that forum who partakes in that brand of communication is given one warning and a chance to change their tune"

This will be the new policy. I will post an official statement at the weekend.

Steve

socorob

Donation Time
I don't agree with any kind of censorship, its hardly a good thing. I don't know what happened but at the same time the forum needs to be productive. Everyone should have the right to their own opinion and if there is an argument, that's part of life, as long as you try to back up your arguments with facts. There shouldn't be any personal insults though, that gets nothing accomplished.

Some other forums I read are 3 strikes you're out.
First strike - warning
Second strike - 1 month ban
Third strike - you're out

dtbaker61

Donation Time
The key to good forum manners is typing what you would say if the person was sitting across the table from you, with your Grandmother present. There is no place for 'winning' or passing judgement in a Forum like this; just sharing ideas, problems, solutions....

I am new to the Sunbeam Forum, but a big participant on DIYelectriccar.com where the Admin recent had to ban some members because of repeat emotional flames... Hot topics like whether top-balancing or bottom-balancing batteries is better, etc. seem to draw real emotional investment from some.

I haven't seen it here yet, except some snide comments about Victoria British (which may or may not be deserved), but another value I find in Forums is honest evaluation of preferred Vendors. Who has the parts, who has the service, etc.....

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Kevin:

That looks like a well-run and fair discussion forum. Kudos on your policies, and you're right...all forums should have something like this in place.