• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Thank You / 63 Alpine GT Coming Back to Life

NW63GT

Donation Time
Thanks to all of you who took the time to document on the forums your fixes, tricks and pictures that have helped me since buying my first Alpine. I have spent many nights under the hood and around the car over the past couple months and often come back to the SAOCA site a few times a night to make sure I am on the right track. I kind of felt bad "lurking" and not joining the site, but knew I would slow down soon and write this.
The car was started last week, and ran great...albeit the carbs were dried out, and need rebuilding (I confirmed that a few minutes after seeing the gas dripping by quickly running back to the forums).
I was given the cars lifetime of documentation and look forward to sharing much of this original stuff (dealer type stuff that came with it). The two owners who had it before me kept meticulous records including every repair from the day it left the lot to talk of the rally races in Riverside (I tracked the original owner down a couple of weeks ago and we look forward to meeting in the future - very cool stories). I have been having a lot of fun getting this car ready for spring, and wanted to make sure I thanked this group for your assistance. I will try and attach a picture of the day I brought it home. It is just cleaner and runs now!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Makes you proud ....

when you accomplish the small things. Even better when it runs:D

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Pictures!

Awesome. Series III's are the shiiiiiiiiiiiz! I have the same year and model. Let me know if you need anything, pictures, parts, advice.

205efe91.jpg

Last edited:

99ZoomR

Gold Level Sponsor
Welcome! I agree this is a great forum. If it wasn't for some of the generous and helpful folks here, I'd probably have swapped out my Zenith carbs a long time ago. Finally got them sorted and synched last summer. Keep us posted on your progress...

Len

Jim E

Donation Time
S3 vs S3 vs S3

While my S3 was surely the fastest.. not sure if yours or Scotts which is the prettiest... but IMO a S3 GT is the best of them all

NW63GT

Donation Time
It was originally quartz blue metallic. About 30 years ago I was told that it was re-painted to what was a Mercedes blue. He had dented a fender, or right wing during a rally. I suspect the popularity of the 007 Alpine color may have come into play a bit as it looks very close to that. The interior was all redone at that time as well, so it is all in relatively good shape, and should stay that way, now that I have run off the mouse that took ownership of the space under one of the fuel tanks.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Eviction

Man I know what you mean dam varmits. I saw a Porsche in a garage in Northern Idaho . It was tarped underneath the car and a sandwich over the top all to keep those little F ers out. I have just had some fun with a gift 65 MGB and the bad tenants it had. Too bad it wasn't a S3 but beggars can't be choosers as my mom used to say.

NW63GT

Donation Time
Off the road since 5/2010, my Christmas eve started with two laps around the block in the S3. The first lap was slow, waiting for something to fall off but by the second lap it was clear that the car was ready for its next life as all was running strong. It is good to know that being a survivor this long, it will assuredly have many years and stories ahead. Still have some bugs to chase down, but that was expected. I continue to hunt the forums for clues and am rarely let down. It was a good day for the old car.