• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Temperature sender location

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Today I took the Tiger out for a reasonable run since I have changed the intake manifold. I took it around the streets and a quick run home along the highway. The temperature today was about mid 20's (celcius) and I noticed the temperature gauge creeping upto the 100 degree mark at which point I turned on the electric fans. After one stop at the shops, I had major dramas restarting due to heat soak ( I definately need a heat spacer ).
When I changed the intake, I put the temperature sender in the intake and no longer run the heater hoses through the carby adaptor. The heater hose now runs from the intake through the heater valve and core back to the water pump. I also fitted a new 160 degree thermostat. Could the increase in temperature be due to the position of the sender unit or the modified heater hose route? I did not have any other heating issues before the conversion. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you, Robin.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Robin
Are you sure you got all the air out when refilling the coolant?
I would recheck the thermostat even if it was a new unit.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robin
Are you sure you got all the air out when refilling the coolant?
I would recheck the thermostat even if it was a new unit.

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for the reply. I'll recheck the heater hoses going to the heater core to make sure there isn't air in them and I am fairly confident the thermostat is operating correctly also, but will recheck. How does air trapped in the heater core effect the temperature?

Thanks, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
I recall reading that what was found originally on the 60's, and by guys these days, is that it takes a different sender and perhaps gauge to read correctly. It was put into the hose block by the factory so they didn't need to have a different sender/gauge combination made. I'll bet someone has found a solution with a different sender, or resistor, or something like that but I run mine basically as stock so have never needed to know.

Hi Mike,

I was able to use the original sender unit as the intake hole was the correct size. What I am thinking is that due to heat soak into the intake, I am reading higher than the original setup. I checked for air in the hoses and my thermostat is definately opening at 160. I could test this by putting the sender block back in the circuit.

Thanks, Robin.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Chuck,

Thank you for the reply. I'll recheck the heater hoses going to the heater core to make sure there isn't air in them and I am fairly confident the thermostat is operating correctly also, but will recheck. How does air trapped in the heater core effect the temperature?

Thanks, Robin.

It blocks heat transfer.But I think your heater core is not where any air would be trapped.Also if there was air trapped the space occupied by the air will mean less coolant.This air could escape by entering the resevoir leaving low coolant. A tiger needs all the coolant.You could try removing the input hose to the heater core and slowly filling the resevoir keeping the hose just below the neck of the resevoir.When you see fliud coming out evenly replace the hose.Of course a warm engine making the thermostat being open will also help.
Oh something to catch the fluid would be a good idea.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I just remembered I have a thermocouple probe that came with my multimeter. I think I will connect that up somewhere to measure the water temp and see what the actual temperature is when driving.

Thanks again, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I tested the surface temperature allowing the engine to idle up to approximately 80-85 degrees C (175-185 Degrees F) by my temp gauge. This is normal running temp for my Tiger on most days. I took some surface readings with my multimeter thermocouple probe and the readings were approximately 10 Degrees lower. Would you call that normal?

Thanks, Robin.

saltykracker

Donation Time
Hi Robin, if you are running an 180 degree thermostat you are on the money. Are you running a f4B and if so what gauge/ sender combo are you using. Thanks Stan

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robin, if you are running an 180 degree thermostat you are on the money. Are you running a f4B and if so what gauge/ sender combo are you using. Thanks Stan

Hi Stan,

I am running a 160 Degree F thermostat with the standard temperature sender and gauge, but the sender is mounted in the intake water cross over. I am running a Weiand action plus low rise manifold.

Regards, Robin.