• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tech Tip - Leaking Rear Axle Seals

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
This tip came from Budd Bennion, membership chair of the Pacific Tiger Club, Seattle, WA. He felt that the Alpine world would appreciate this info.

TECH TIP – Leaking rear axle seals - Alpine / Hillman
I started seeing grease showing up on my 1960 Hillman Husky rear wheel obviously coming from the rear axles, again. I have installed new rear axle seals before, in fact too many times. The last time was when I put in a complete new used rear end out of an Alpine about 6 years ago to get a higher gear ratio. (I went from 4:55 to 4:22) But the axle hub and seal are the same on the Hillman and Alpine and so are the leaks. I swore I would investigate until I came up with a better solution or just what was the cause of these leaks.

I have used in the past seals from Sunbeam Specialties and other times I have used a NAPA seal (p/n 19832) both work as designed. I think the NAPA seal is a bit tighter on the inside dimension. However this time I wanted some more advise. The NAPA seal is a CR (Chicago Rawhide) now owned by SKF so I email the company and got back an interesting reply.

I had stated to SKF that the axle hubs were polished smooth and had no scarring on them and wanted to know why the oil seal would not seal on the axle. The reply was “ The reason the seal doesn’t last is basically that the smooth surface doesn’t allow oil to be present to lubricate the seal and the seal lip wears down fastâ€. The hub should not look polished but should look like the top of an aluminum pop can. The solution is to either replace the axles or try a repair sleeve (also know as a speedy sleeve). SKF stated that “Yes, the repair sleeve does increase the shaft size by .022†but modern seals can overcome that slight increase with no stress to the sealâ€. They also offered the suggestion you can take your axles to a machine shop to have the surface corrected but make sure you instruct the shop to only take off about .005-.010†and to plunge grind the surface using odd ratios to avoid “lead†lines that will cause leakage.

So I went the route to use Repair Sleeves. SKF told me the sleeve that should fit my axle size was a SKF #99199. These cost me about $60 each (two required) and I had a machine shop press them on my hubs for $15.
I decided to use the seal I purchase from Sunbeam Specialties, as they seemed to not fit as tight on the now new increased diameter hubs but I am sure the NAPA/SKF seal would work also. Since I had both on my shop bench I made my executive decision.

If you have not replaced seal before then you need to pull the axles and remove the hubs. Removing the hubs usually requires you take them to a machine shop and have them pressed off. I have had mine off so many times that I can use a wheel puller to remove. The trick is to put a lot of pressure with the wheel puller on the hub then take a large hammer and strike the bolt of the wheel puller a number or times to create a shock or vibration to the axle. Then maybe give another turn to the wheel puller and strike the bolt again. It will all of a sudden pop off. Not to worry it will not fly off the axle into the wall. It will “bang†and move a few inches.

I did this about 6 months ago and so far no rear axle leaks.
See you on the road.

--Budd Bennion

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey V, ( I hope you don't mind me calling you "v" for short)

Where did you find this posted? I tried to join the PacificTigerClub YahooGroups forum: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/PacificTigerClub/ a year ago, but no one ever approved my joining. I never heard any response. It's a little used site. Is Budd Bennion still involved?

And note that this tip is only useful for Series I to III Alpines, and I think SIV, but not SVs.

Thanks,

Tom

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Tom, Yes, Budd is still involved with the PTC but he was never involved with the Yahoo groups site. PTC now has its own website (www.pacifictigerclub.com), but the site is not very active. If you want to communicate with Budd, his mail is ***** budd.bennion@comcast.net**** remove asterisks. On another note, I have not forgotten about sending my tach to you for repair.

Ed

ddonatimfs

Donation Time
budd, I have the same problem. The driver side rear wheel seal is leaking very badly. In removing the axle, will this affect anything in the differential? Once I removed the axle on an old firebird and all the differential gears fell out. Is there anything I need to do in the Alpine diferential or just simply pull the axle out? Thanks Damian

mikephillips

Donation Time
With the Alpine rear just go ahead and pull them out, nothing is retained by them. The construction of the rear, with the pumpkin going in whole with no access wouldn't allow for items to be installed/retained manually before axle installation.

Dzynr_Ron

Silver Level Sponsor
Kinda highjacking thread,

I want to change wheel studs and only want hub off if possible. instead of unbolting from backing plate and pulling whole issue off, disturbing brakes, etc,

can I just hold hub still and undo the axle nut ? or is that a bigger can of worms to put back ?, axle seals aren't leaking so best left alone ? diff is wet but that should just be a gasket I presume..
ron

alpine_64

Donation Time
I think if you browse the tech tips section there may still be an article written by Jim Ellis on installing the speedy sleeves and also pulling the hubs. If not i still have jims article and photos if the site needs it.

Another thing i would say is that you should not get a shop to "press the hubs off", they shuld be removed with a puller. While they can be pressed off it takes a lot of force and often bells the end of the housing.. causing other leak issues.

65beam

Donation Time
seals

if you look at the flange that the seal goes in, you will find that rootes made the flange so that any leaking gear oil can drain out. this flange needs to match up with the backing plate to allow normal leakage to drain without getting on the brakes. it sounds like rootes knew there would be problems with leakage and they engineered a solution for normal use. just don't set the new seal in the same location as the old seal and leakage should be minimal. this doesn't pertain to series 5 since they had a different bearing with the seal on the bearing

agmason54

Donation Time
Leaking rear seals

The last time I did one the brand new seal still leaked on a nice mirror finish on the hub.I tore it back apart and took the spring from the old seal and put it right on top of the new seal spring.Doubling the spring cured it. If you can pull the hub you don't have to remove the backing plate and wheel cylinder but the shoes need to come off to get to the bolts etc. That was the best case senario.... I find it easier in the long run to pull the backing plate,undo the wheel cylinder and clamp the axle in a vice (with copper jaw covers) and use the puller in the vice.I feel this is better than whaling on the puller while everything is still 'floating' on the car. Doing it this way was easy and both hubs jumped off the axles on the first or second hit.I feel the axle clamped in the vice lets the hub take the shock in stead the the whole rear end. I believe I have swapped over a dozen pairs of steel wheel hubs in favor of wire wheel hubs and only ruined 1 axle by being too lazy to unbolt the backing plate.I have never let an axle out of my sight with anyone with a press. That's asking for it.
agm

Dzynr_Ron

Silver Level Sponsor
All I want to do is swap wheel studs, seals seem fine, want to only take hub off if possible, will it come off axle without seal issues ? does woodruff key stay in place ? Ron

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
While you are there, change the axle keys for hardened ones. Even stock four cylinder Alpines shear them from time to time.

Jose

All I want to do is swap wheel studs, seals seem fine, want to only take hub off if possible, will it come off axle without seal issues ? does woodruff key stay in place ? Ron