• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tech Tip #1 ( Not)

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Yea, and after 4-5 years of dreaming and buying a ton of hot-rod junk, put your 1725 back in and drive it.:D
Jan
After so many years of preaching enlightenment about power, reliability and fun, I seem to have failed in my mission. Where did I go wrong??!!. I guess I'm supposed to commit hiri ciri now, but I don't even know how to spell it, so how can I commit it?:)

Jeff,

Pay him no mind. there were people who said that man shouldn't fly either, but look what has happened. We need to move up, so we can MOVE OUT.;)

Jose:D

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Joe,
I think back in '99, you talked my ear off for about 90 mins on the phone, about how I should install a V6. It was a great sales pitch and you filled my mind full of sugar plums & customizing & modification dreams.....
(Jump ahead 7 years....)
Hey Jeff...Do you or any other dreamers want to buy a crap-load of V6 engines & custom, hot-rod junk?
I have 5 engines left, a MusII bellhousing & T-5 trans?? ;)
Jan

skywords

Donation Time
Jose
How about an Allison 250 we can derate it to 380shp? Needs no radiator but will need bellhousing and tranny.:eek:

Rick

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Joe,
I think back in '99, you talked my ear off for about 90 mins on the phone, about how I should install a V6. It was a great sales pitch and you filled my mind full of sugar plums & customizing & modification dreams.....
(Jump ahead 7 years....)
Hey Jeff...Do you or any other dreamers want to buy a crap-load of V6 engines & custom, hot-rod junk?
Jan
Sadly, not everyone who hears the good news of performance, reliability, pure fun and enjoyment, will respond. They will wander in the wilderness, and never reach the promissed land.:D

Jose:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Joe,
(Jump ahead 7 years....)
Jan

Jan what is the point of this post? You bought a bunch of stuff (more than you'd ever need) to put a V6 in an Alpine and it seems, never pulled the trigger. Are you saying others should not do the conversion because you never started?

Bill

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bill,
No, I'm not saying anything negative. I'm selling the parts to support the dreams....
Really, I need money and I'm loosing my storage space. My loss is your gain!!!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jan, I must say that is a very, very strange way to present parts that you wish to be rid of. Present an argument to bust a guys dream then tell him you will sell him the parts to build the dream you just bashed.

But hey, hope you sell them today and get a million.

Bill

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bill,
Presenting an argument? I am 100% behind Jeff Scoville's mantra as he says, "...do want you want to do, but be safe and have fun". Okay, now I present the point of what is the definition of safe (from our point of view)? Here is a discussion point: When I modify a factory car's sub-assembly, how do I know it is/will be safe? I don't know? I'm not that experienced in determining the mean time between failure statistics, maybe you guys are trained in that field...I'm not. Okay, please tell me what would happen if a car, that was modified by the owner or a previous owner, crashes and kills an occupant in the other car (or in the modified car)? Someone is going to go after the person responsible for the crash (to put the blame on them and force them to pay). You see where I'm going?...Its about liabilities. Who was negligent? Someone will be pursued by a lawyer as being negligent. You or I could throw out some hyperbole as an example. You changed the components of steering, engine, transmission, gas tank, fuel lines, brake lines, brake system, electrical wiring, battery location, rear axle, seats, wheels, tires, exhaust (and so on) from factory, are you liable for the loss of a loved one's life? Are you liable for property damages? We need to get a lawyer in here.
I know Rick from Sumbeam Specialties was sued because his "parts" were used in a Tiger restoration that caught fire while on the road. Hey, he had to spend a considerable amount of money to hire an attorney to help him on this.
Hey Joe....You're out of the Country now right?....Good Move! :)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Presenting an argument? Nope, just trying to make some sense of your posts and obviously not succeeding.

EDIT - A better choice of words would be trying to undersatnd where you are coming from and not having any luck. Anyway, I'm going to give it a rest.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jan,

If I were to live my life worrying about possible law suits, I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning. None of the cars I have modified have anything that isn't safe, because you know my philosophy, "Don't do anything to the integrity of the chasis of the car that would weaken it." Whatever I have anything to do with, must follow this rule. I sell a kit to install a 2.8 Ford V6 into the Series Alpines; How or what the buyer does with it, is his responsibility, especially if he doesn't follow my instructions. The V6 Alpine, the way I recommend it be done, is a safe car, in fact I think it is safer than a stock Alpine, when driving. The only thing that concerns me, is that a father will give one to his teen age son, who isn't mature or responsible, and the kid hurts himself with it, becuase he did things with it he shouldn't have. The V6 Alpine is a small cute car, but the performance it posesses, is not of the cute kind. I have warned several guys about letting their kids loose with one.

The good thing is that most guys won't let their inexperienced sons run wild with it, because of the amount of money they have invested in it when it is done. I started selling the kit about 18 years ago, and have never had any of my customers say that they even came close to having an accident in their converted Alpine, because of the modification.

I choose to not live in a box, so secure that I don't enjoy life. You could be sued for anything. An example of what I am talking about, is the guy that borrowed his neighbors lawn mower. He was using it and promptly put his hand under it while it was running. Of course, you know what happened, he lost some fingers. This jerk sued his neighbor for damages because it was his mower. Fortunately, the judge that heard the case, threw it out, because the dummy himself had caused the accident. From this example, you can see that a law suit can be lurking just around the cornet, even if you're minding your own business.

The parts I supply, are built to aircraft quality, so they will not fail. If they are installed per instructions, they won't cause a problem, so why not make them so others can enjoy their Alpines to the max?? I guess, "Worry Warts" shouldn't do the conversion, because maybe their hearts won't be able to stand all the excitement of an Alpine that has been improved with the V6, and could have a coronary.

Jose:)

Nickodell

Donation Time
My attorney friend tells me that you should finish your mods/improvements/replacements and then have the whole vehicle inspected by a garage licensed by the state to perform inspections (in the states where this is mandatory).

In PA every road vehicle is required to have it inspected annually, covering running gear, suspension, steering, brakes and other safety equipment, and chassis/frame for rust-through, including removing wheels and inspecting brake pads and shoes. If I were to perform a major change I would schedule it to be completed just before the inspection is due.

However, if it was finished way before the annual was due I would pay them to do the inspection anyhow. With a "Satisfactory" inspection certificate in hand, my friend tells me, you would likely be safe from liability claims, unless it could be proved that you deliberately withheld information or concealed something that the inspecting mechanic could not be expected to reveal, and that this led to the accident.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Yea, and after 4-5 years of dreaming and buying a ton of hot-rod junk, put your 1725 back in and drive it.:D
Jan

Firstly Jan, ALL my Sunbeams have factory Sunbeam (or Ford in the Tiger) motors in them, so as usual, I have NO idea what your talking about.

Bill sure does bring up a good point though, what ARE you doing with all the 2.8 stuff?

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Also, being a Moderator shouldn't make you GOD.
Did you get-off moving my post from where I had it?
So I guess if sombody does post a tech-tip that you don't agree with, it will be moved or deleted as well?

C'mon Jan, don't be such a dick.......tater.

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
Jeff it was not actually your original post that caused the move, I thought is was a good comment. It was the lengthy bantering that caused the move.

Jan did not move this thread, I did (krogp)

Not wanting to upset anyone, but the purpose of Tech Tips is just that, not long off topic discussions that have no meaning to someone wanting to know how to repair an Alpine modified or not. None of this thread will serve to assist any one wanting to know how to repair their Alpine or any other Rootes vehicle.

I do not want to rant, but this was the reason for the hesitation in starting the Tech Tip Forum in the first place.

OK I am off my soap box now.

Also, being a Moderator shouldn't make you GOD.
Did you get-off moving my post from where I had it?
So I guess if sombody does post a tech-tip that you don't agree with, it will be moved or deleted as well?

C'mon Jan, don't be such a dick.......tater.