• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tappet cover infill

Limey

Donation Time
Dear Mr. Hand,

Are you sure it's not just dirt.........................................

Stow it, you bludger:p That's geenuwine paint tht is. Ill have to redo all 3 of mine and they were perfect as well. Used a hypodermic syringe and all that.

Ah me, the persuit of perfection is it's own reward i suppose...:rolleyes:

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Oh, a syringe........here I am thinking you just had a mild obsessive disorder, now I realise it's more serious. That explains the..........and the time you.......... best to leave it there shall we?

And you painted THREE tappet covers? What are you making man? Some sort of hideous Chitty Chitty Bang Bang esque monstrosity out in the garden shed, all hammering and sawing until the wee hours......:eek:

Sounds great, don't forget to post some pics. when you're done.

Limey

Donation Time
Aye, 3; 1 for the show dolly, 1 for the daily driver and a spare 'cos it was a rainy afternoon and the pub was shut.

What you do is polish out by hand every scratch. Polish to a uniform mirror finsh then (and here is the clever part) dip it in strong aluminium cleaner to reduce the mirror back to the factory fresh correct finish. Genius if I say so myself.

Many hours of experimentation, work and swearing went into discovering that wee trick and one buggered tappet cover. Works with Ignition coil bodies as well. Dip it too long and you have got scrap:mad:

Must get out more....

alpine_64

Donation Time
Oliver.. i'll beat bob to this.. he will tell you.. as he told me a few years back that he has NOS covers and they have no paint.

I will contend that if you view your alpine books.. the road test articles for SI and SII UK, USA and AU cars all have the letter recess painted.. now it appears black because of the shade.. but in some it looks a little lighter and might be red.. but i can say from research they were painted if installed at the factory.. perhaps after market purchases from a dealer they were not.. but i believe they were painted from the factory when installed on the cars.

Limey

Donation Time
Hi Alpine 64,

Thanks for the feed back and I know it's one of those subjects that gets the blood flowing:D I posted my pics not to cause a stir but to add a little bit of evidence to an open topic. I would never argue hard over such a wee point of detail.

It's fine that there's them that swear it's red and I don't call them deluded or stuborn. But I have never seen an old car with red infill but I have now seen 3 original tappet covers with old black paint in. I am going have to go with the evidence of my eyes on this issue.

Ironically I prefer red and I have 3 in that colour already but I'll change 'em to black now that I personally have no doubts that black is the way to go.

If convinced later that it can only be red then I'll change the sods back.
:rolleyes::D

But I'm noy holding my breath.

Oliver

John Boggis

Donation Time
View attachment 2512

View attachment 2513Hi all,

Saw a one owner totally untouched Alpine at our UK national. Black infill on the tapper cover and white Hood latch.

I will be going black infill now no question. Talk to the hand.....:D

Oliver

Oliver, I think that one of the owners of the Alpine you have pictures of had two tins of paint. (Black & white) anyway the Hood latch was never painted white it just came in the base metal,but then you knew that didn't you.

Limey

Donation Time
Yes,

I knew that, 'as any fule no'.:D But the hood latch discussion is not new. There is them that's seen old Alps with painted latches. I'm going metal finish and always will.

However this car had been in family of farmers from day 1 and had been serviced by only one garage since that day 1.

Cant see a farmer painting the latch white or having someone elso do it for that matter.

Like UFO's; lots of sightings, often by nutters but nothing proven.;)

65beam

Donation Time
tappet cover

strange that this popped up. i have a question for you guys and it concerns a holbay cover i just bought in the u.k. when it arrived it had many years of dirt and oil on it. when i cleaned it up i found the area around holbay painted black. the H120 was never sold in the states and i have never seen one. so is the black around the letters right? of course it's no longer there since it is out being polished. the paint just popped off. ?????

sunbeamowner

Bronze Level Sponsor
Polished Cover and painted letters!???!!!!!.............Damm Modifier!!!!

Attachments

• Eb9.2 (Small).JPG
    Eb9.2 (Small).JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 41

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
strange that this popped up. i have a question for you guys and it concerns a holbay cover i just bought in the u.k. when it arrived it had many years of dirt and oil on it. when i cleaned it up i found the area around holbay painted black. the H120 was never sold in the states and i have never seen one. so is the black around the letters right? of course it's no longer there since it is out being polished. the paint just popped off. ?????

The one I have has no paint and I see no traces....maybe it was cleaned in the past or maybe it never had paint...

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wonder if they took the time to paint around the letters in the UK, but didn't bother for the US market. It's not like we're a refined bunch over here.