• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tach problem

cuppy65

Donation Time
Can anyone identify the electrical component that's burned out on this tach ??
I trying to get it to work with electronic points via article by Tom Hall and when I got it apart I discovered this burn out part.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20191003_142436.jpg
    20191003_142436.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 46
  • 20191003_142304_001.jpg
    20191003_142304_001.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 45

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not sure you have the correct name, you may mean Tom Hayden (Tom H - Forum Name).

He and Mike Hartman will most likely be on here soon for your answer. Lots of great electrical guys on board.

cuppy65

Donation Time
If you read the link I posted you see that the upgrade does apply to a alpine tach but should be the same for the tiger :(Figure 1: The 7K Alpine tachometer.
made on a 7,000 RPM Alpine instrument, but should work as well on a normal Tiger tach.:
After looking at the link you posted I now know I need a new thermistor . I've eliminated the points and , I understand the tach will not work with this change . It seem like a lot of trouble and I think I'll just put it back together and let the next guy worry about it.
Thanks for all the information.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nah, replacing the points with a Pertronix or similar ignition is NOT the problem. Nor is the problem the "burned out" thermistor. That bad thermistor will affect the accuracy over a temperature change, but will not keep the tach from working. 90% of the time when the tach does not work at all , the problem is one of these 3 things:
1) biggest issue is the steel C-Clip that holds the white wire loop onto the back of the tach. See page 11 of my article referenced above by Mike Hartman, to see how the steel clip is positioned. Normally there is also a plastic piece holding the wire loop and that piecee helps keep the wire loop oriented correctly, but the steel c-clip is critical. And it is critical that teh tips of that clip make contact with the mating tips poking out from inside.

2) makes sure the tach is grounded. If the tach amp lights when the dash lights are on, then you can be sure the tach is grounded.

3) Make sure the tach is getting 12 V power at the power terminal.

4) If you have rewired the ignition system you may have added an additional ( unnecessary) path for power to the coil. For the tach to work, ALL power to the coil must pass thru the loop on the back of the tach .

Tom

alpine_64

Donation Time
Our Club "SAOCA" is not listed on their web site. Did a search for it and came up blank.

Under there list of resources: + See Online Resources again nothing ! Kinda odd to me....

Dan, the tigersunited site is old, Steve Laifman who started it and ran it passed away a few years back. Jay who is on this site is his son and has an alpine S3. He is now the caretaker of the tiger as well, he i believe controls the site.. But think its been a long time since it was updated.

I dont think its a slight against saoca or alpines