• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

T9 in an Alpine

whiskytangofoxtrot

Silver Level Sponsor
Has anybody else stuck a T9 5 speed in an Alpine? I just finished and it was almost was almost painless.
The length worked out, my shifter moved about 3 inches aft, and I was able to use an OD driveshaft with only a change of yoke. If dealing with a early series flywheel you could probably use a Merkur clutch, but I have a series V with the small clutch so a local guy made me one. I used the Sunbeam bell housing with just moving the mounting holes. I test drove a little today and I like it.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am not familiar with the T9. What you did may be of great interest to others on the Forum, so why not post some pictures and show what you did to convert over...?

Year, Model & Part numbers always comes in handy and perhaps a drawing of your creation! Looking forward to it,

whiskytangofoxtrot

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, Ill take some pictures tomorrow, going to get the exhaust done, so it will be on a lift
The T9 was in the Merkur and Sierra, mostly overseas

Attachments

• IMG_2944.JPG
    IMG_2944.JPG
    368 KB · Views: 41

whiskytangofoxtrot

Silver Level Sponsor
IMG_3013.JPG IMG_3016.JPG IMG_3022.JPG Here are a few photos, of the T9 in the car. Test drive shows 2787 RPMs at 70 ( GPS speedo)
Photo 1 underside with ground wire, and Trans mount, I retained the stock crossmember
Photo 2 No reason, except I like paint more than undercoating
Photo 3 new shifter location, and apparently I got my wife interior dirty
Bell housing -Alpine
Clutch- Nissan hub with 7.5 disc 23 spine, unsprung Ceramic disc
Yoke-Ford Sierra 25 spline
Shifter -Merkur with a little heat added to take out the crook
Pressure plate- series V
Release bearing and Rod-Alpine
I ended up trying a hydraulic slave from rear wheel motorsports that replaces the front shaft cover of the T9 which is good because the Diameter of the stock front cover is huge, the hydraulic slave blew up (maybe due to the grilling master) so I used the stock alpine slave and rod (the holes are tapped in the bell hosing but I needed to use a header bolt for one hole because of the proximity of the trans bolt.
View attachment 10281View attachment 10281 View attachment 10279 View attachment 10280View attachment 10281View attachment 10279 View attachment 10280 View attachment 10281 View attachment 10279 View attachment 10280 View attachment 10281 View attachment 10279
View attachment 10279 View attachment 10280 View attachment 10281

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a T9 in my Series V - behind a Ford V6. I have not seen one mated to the Rootes 4 banger, so congratulations appear to be in order. Great job!

TR

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I started a T9 years ago but went with the T50 Toyota box, did not have to cut a thing, and the trans was lighter than the T9 and the stock box!

whiskytangofoxtrot

Silver Level Sponsor
Is the T50 with the bell housing from New Zealand?
It’s my wife’s toy, I have my tiger but the last Alpine I owned was in 87 with the 55 mph limit, I felt brutal trying to hit 70 with the 4 speed

whiskytangofoxtrot

Silver Level Sponsor
So my wife alpine is running great. its a beast for an Alpine with the 5 speed, however after 300 hundred miles, a rebuilt head, the engine is coming out to be freshened up. I should have know those seals wouldn't last after sitting for an undetermined number of years. but hey it runs great. however I think Captain Joe Hazelwood would be jealous ( for those born after 1989 google it)