• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

T5 transmission search

mr.vman

Donation Time
Looking for the 94 3.8L Mustang T5 Transmission. Prices seem high, $550 to $700 plus shipping. Is this the going rate? Can find nothing local so far. I did find several 2.8 engines, need to get them next week. Any sources for the transmission in Arizona or? Thanks for the help, I am in Southern Arizona. Steve V.

lillypad

Donation Time
If you want one now you will pay for it. If you wait, one may pop up locally for less, usually right after you bite the bullet and pay thru your nose
I bought a t5 thru eBay that was never delivered for 475, took 2 months to get my Paypal money back,sellers name was Fast Freddie watch out!
While waiting for my refund, one came up local and paid 300 for it. It is being rebuilt for my car.
Just be patient, it pays off.
John

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
T-5 search

Prices you quoted are not out of line for a guaranteed rebuilt T-5 in AZ. They are a popular transmission for a lot of swaps. First, make sure it's for a Ford as there are lots of T-5s out there for S10 pickups, Camaros, Firebirds, etc. Next thing, take off the top cover and look inside for damage. Make sure it's a World Class trans because the gears and pieces inside are stronger, better bearings etc. If the trans still has a tag on it run the numbers through one of many websites and you can find out what model it came from and what gears are in it.
Check local wrecking yards and swapmeets for them. I just got back from the annual Big 3 swapmeet in San Diego where we were looking for a T5 for my brother's truck. We found 8 of them....from $150 for a junk one to $750 for guaranteed rebuilt one for $750. Unfortunately, all were the GM T5 and the only Ford T5 we saw was $800, dirty and nasty and no idea how many miles on it or if it was any good.
My personal experience locally is that I got one for $125 knowing it was junk inside. My transmission guy went through it, replacing the main shaft and 3 gears, syncros, bearings and so forth for $750. I'm into it for $875 but at least I know what I have. You can also find new ones in auto parts catalogs for $1200 to $1600.
For what it's worth, there is a big swapmeet at Glendale Community College this weekend in Glendale AZ. The Good Guys hot rod show also this weekend at Westworld in Scottsdale AZ. It features a good swapmeet and there is usually lots of T5s there. Later on this month is the AZ State Fairgrounds swapmeet at 19th Ave and McDowell Road in Phoenix but I'm not sure which weekend. It will be listed in the Arizona Republic newspaper automobile want ads under Vintage and Classic Autos.
Contact hot rod clubs in Tucson or Sierra Vista....those guys usually know where to find T5s or maybe even have one or two laying around they might sell. I hope this helps you in your search. Good Luck.

mferris

Donation Time
Prices can range wildly. I ended up using car-part.com twice.

1) I found a local body shop that was parting a wrecked car they had gotten and bought a T5 with 120K miles for $250. Took it to a trans shop and they wanted $750 to rebuild, so I didn't bother, thinking I could find a better deal.

2) I then found a 2004 Mustang V6 with 14K visually confirmed miles on it at a local junkyard. $590 and I'm trusting that it might be okay.

So I'm at $840 - could have gotten away cheaper, and may still have a problem - but it shifts fine, so I'm going to drive it until I have a problem. Then I might even just get another one.

-M

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
T5

The prices quoted are just about right for T5's ,which are all over the map.
What we did on the Tiger is use a GM T5 out of a Camero. the GM input shaft is .625 longer than a ford we made an adaptor to get the distance and used a SVO clutch which is the same spline as the GM cost 200.00 and apiece of tool plate. food for thought.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
the GM input shaft is .625 longer than a ford we made an adaptor to get the distance .....

Don't understand that statement. To the best of my knowledge:

All GM T-5's have a 7.18" input shaft length.

Ford V-8 T-5's mostly have a 7.18" input shaft length.

Ford V-6 T-5's have a 7.85" input shaft length.

Ford I-4 T-5's have a 7.41" input shaft length.

None of those input shaft lengths are different by 0.625" and a GM T-5 does not have a "longer" input shaft than any Ford T-5.

The only CamAro T-5's with Ford bolt patterns were from '93+ V-6 cars. They have a 3.76:1 first gear (not a great choice for a V-6 Alpine) and the transmission mounting "foot" is tilted 17 degrees which requires an adapter or cutting / welding the foot.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I got a T5 for the V6 for $150 and put $350 in it to include the carbon blockers. I added the steel bearing retainer so I'm in it just over $500. Sitting on the floor of my garage in Phoenix.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
T5

Well guess what Barry were driving it as we speak and just for info the tail shaft is 10deg and if you make an adaptor who cares about the bolt pattern.

mr.vman

Donation Time
I am watching Craig's list Tucson, also check Phoenix. Called around to local salvage yards, nothing so far. Been on the internet, did several sites that will find parts. Least expensive so far is, $550, Might try an offer. I am sitting and waiting for a deal. I can wait. Have also done several car swap meets in Tucson, Checking the ID tags on T5's. Any other places to check? Thanks for the help, Steve V. In Arizona

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
.... Make sure it's a World Class trans because the gears and pieces inside are stronger, better bearings etc. If the trans still has a tag on it run the numbers through one of many websites and you can find out what model it came from and what gears are in it.
..... Good Luck.

My I ask what you mean by "World Class trans"???

Beings that I am a bit dumb on these transmissions and I am planning a Jose V6 Conversion and will be looking for the T5 also.

P.S. have a man that offered me a T5 ford that has the shifterabout mid way of tail shaft. And also has a chevy T5 that has a shifter back near the end of the tail shaft where the drive shaft hooks.

I assume the shorter one is what I need??(ford).

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Dan,

You have the T5s confused. The Ford T5 has the shifter about 2.5" from the end of the tailhousing. The other one should be the Chevy one.

The Chevy T5 will have the shifter at an angle, which in our application, will cause a problem.

The World Class designation was used after 1986 (I think). The 2004 and on T5s also were uprated again.

Jose

My I ask what you mean by "World Class trans"???

Beings that I am a bit dumb on these transmissions and I am planning a Jose V6 Conversion and will be looking for the T5 also.

P.S. have a man that offered me a T5 ford that has the shifterabout mid way of tail shaft. And also has a chevy T5 that has a shifter back near the end of the tail shaft where the drive shaft hooks.

I assume the shorter one is what I need??(ford).

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jose, The T5 that has the shifter near the rear of the Tail Shaft is mounted behind a late model Chevy Engine (it's all original) So I figured it was definiately not what I wanted.

The T5 that He said was a Ford had the shifter farther from the tail shaft and closer to midway of the tail shaft.

I am going back in a few days to get "data" from it to determine what it fits.

Aslo, will take along my Mustang II Bell Housing to check bolt patterns.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am watching Craig's list Tucson, also check Phoenix. Called around to local salvage yards, nothing so far. Been on the internet, did several sites that will find parts. Least expensive so far is, $550, Might try an offer. I am sitting and waiting for a deal. I can wait. Have also done several car swap meets in Tucson, Checking the ID tags on T5's. Any other places to check? Thanks for the help, Steve V. In Arizona

Unfortunately only the tag will provide a quick ID for the T5. Casting number will tell you nothing. I guess if you count splines and determine gear ratios manually you could ID it that way. Also bear in mind that Tremec took over manufacture of the Borg-Warner trannys and use different numbers. I found mine on the local Craig's List. I took it to a tranny shop and had a bench check done, which included new bearings and seals. They found the front of the main shaft galled. I had it repaired by Hanlon Motor Sports. Have $565 in the T5 and $185 in machine work.

Last edited:

mr.vman

Donation Time
Thanks for the help on my transmission search, more parts to look for later. Question, I have the Mustang 2 engine and transmission. I think the transmission is a Borg Warner, SR-4 (looks like a T-5). Does the drive shaft yoke from the Mustang transmission fit into a T5? Or do I need to get the driveshaft yoke from the T5? Thanks in advance. Steve V. In Arizona

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Steve,

The simple answer is , no. The four speed has a smaller diameter tail shaft so the yoke will not fit the T5 tail shaft.

Jose

Thanks for the help on my transmission search, more parts to look for later. Question, I have the Mustang 2 engine and transmission. I think the transmission is a Borg Warner, SR-4 (looks like a T-5). Does the drive shaft yoke from the Mustang transmission fit into a T5? Or do I need to get the driveshaft yoke from the T5? Thanks in advance. Steve V. In Arizona

mr.vman

Donation Time
Have now found a t5 for, $285, bought it. Could not get the drive shaft with it, will need the front drive shaft yoke. Is the front drive shaft yoke going to be a problem? Found an 1984 Bronco 2, bought the entire truck for the engine. Might buy yet another for $50. Parts chasing is moving along. Thanks for the help on this. Steve V. In Arizona

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Any good drive line shop can put on the Ford yoke and cut the Alpine shaft to length,new u-joints,balance,paint. I got all this done for $125.00 but prices vary . Tolerance for the Ford yoke is tight in the tunnel but I have never had a problem