• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV Oil Sump Bolts/Studs and washers

spudman5

Donation Time
I'm starting to re-assemble my SV engine.
I ran into my first question while test fitting the oil sump (pan).

When I originally took the sump off, I kept all of the parts together and took some pictures, but unfortunately not one showing the locations of the 2 long bolts, the 2 studs, the 2 thin washers and the 4 thick washers. According to the parts list, I have all of the correct parts, just not the locations.

I see that the 2 long bolts and 2 studs attach the stiffner to the sump. My assumptions are that the long bolt (with a thin washer) goes in the front hole in the stiffner and the stud (without a washer) goes in the back countersunk hole. Are these assumptions correct.

For the 4 thick washers, these appear to go on the 4 corner bolts. Is that correct?

For the remaining short bolts, are they supposed to have thin flat washers? The manual doesn't specify them however the bolts that came out of the sump had captive washers on them. I think the previous owner may have replaced them. Actually, this is probably a moot question because if they didn't have washers I would probably put them on.

Without the use of lock washers or torque specifications, has anyone had any issues with the bolts loosening? Should I consider using blue locktite (the removable stuff) to prevent loosening?

Thanks,
Mike

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I see that the 2 long bolts and 2 studs attach the stiffner to the sump. My assumptions are that the long bolt (with a thin washer) goes in the front hole in the stiffner and the stud (without a washer) goes in the back countersunk hole. Are these assumptions correct.

That's how I assembled mine. Pretty sure that's how it was originally.

For the 4 thick washers, these appear to go on the 4 corner bolts. Is that correct?
If by "corner" you mean next to the end bearing caps, I say , Yes.

And the rest all have captive washers.

Tom

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Without the use of lock washers or torque specifications, has anyone had any issues with the bolts loosening? Should I consider using blue locktite (the removable stuff) to prevent loosening

I agree with Tom on placement. As to Loctite, no, I would not use it. Besides, as the sump gasket compresses/settles it will have to be re-tightened in a few weeks/months to fully seat it.