• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV oil pan removal while in car

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Can the oil pan be removed while the engine is still in the car? I'm a bit cautious because of oil sump to oil pan baffle orientation.

Thanks for the help.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

Yes, the sump can be removed while the engine is in the car. I have a series IV with a 1725 and I have done it. If you are replace the seals where the crank comes out of the block, they can be a bit tricky to keep in place or you could use a silastic type sealant which would be easier.

Regards, Robin.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Can the oil pan be removed while the engine is still in the car? I'm a bit cautious because of oil sump to oil pan baffle orientation.

Thanks for the help.

It can be removed but whether it can be reinstalled is an open question. The crossmember is in the way, and reinstallation is a b*tch. The books recommend lowering the crossmember but one could raise the engine instead, or trust to luck... :) .

Allan

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
I did remove and reinstall the oilpan on my SV (#6322 , 1966) in order to correct the position of the oil pump/ingition shaft after engine rebuild. No Problems at all. Had the car on the lift. Remove carefully not to damage the seals, although I used a bit of sealant out of the tube for reinstallation, just or precaution.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
The oil pan can be removed quite easily with the engine in the car. I have done it several times. The crossmember does not interfere. The hardest part ius keeping the gaskets in place when re-assembling.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
The front cork gasket is the main problem upon reinstallation.

Due to the sump protruding above the crossmember, it is difficult to see what is what when bolting the sump back into place.

Studs in the block at "#4" hole mean that the pan must go back into place by lifting it straight up...those studs can be removed, or a DPO may already have replaced them with bolts such as are used the remaining distance around the pan, in which case the pan can be manuevered a bit more.

Might get lucky, might not. But getting the front seal to do its job is tricky to say the least, if the sump is put back into place "blind."

Allan