• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV Harmonic Balancer $100

msmoorenburg

Donation Time
Since I have changed directions on my power plant I no longer need this gem. It was purchased 8~10 years as a reproduction unit from the UK

agent86

Donation Time
harmonic balancer

I am changing the timing chain cover on my 1592cc to one of the new ones with a rubber gasket. I'm told not to try and reinstall the harmonic balancer.
Will yours fit?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
And since this balancer is designed as a replacement for the stock balancer I am 99% sure it would require the same modification to use with the new billet timing cover or any timing cover using the Chevy seal. In fact, in the photo you can see the grooves on the outside of the shaft that need to be sleeved over for use with the seal .

Edit: I watched the video. Yes, he recommends replacing the damper, but note: 1) he suggest buying a replacement from the company that makes the timing cover, that's the only place to get a damper that already fits the Chevy seal, and 2) he notes that many old dampers are in bad shape, which you can see visually. So if the rubber on your damper is not too decayed, and the outer rim is still aligned correctly, like the dampers on most of our Alpines, you can machine it and sleeve it as noted in the other referenced post. I have an original damper and original timing cover and have put over 20,000 miles on my car in past 8 years without the damper failing.

Tom

Last edited:

johnd

Donation Time
Slinger

If you were to use Joe's re-designed balancer and billet cover would you still need the oil slinger and/or oil damper ring?

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
My son lost the harmonic balancer of my 1964 SIV about two years ago. I haven't had the time or resources to get to replacing it. I'm out of the country, but will return briefly in June, So I want to undertake and complete this repair. My questions are:

- Is this still available?
- Will it work?
- Are there other questions that need to be answered before continuing (hint: my car has the stock timing cover)?

Let me know,

Mike Pennell

Alpine1479

Donation Time
Balancer For Sale

I have been rebuilding my 1724 engine and found a fracture in the balancer.
So, that said, I'm looking for a replacement. If you still have it and want to let go of it , I would like it. I have a 1966 SV under restoration in Reno Nevada.

Thanks

Steve
775-787-3996