• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV Battery

chimpodunker

Donation Time
Does anyone know the length of battery cable for a SV with the battery behind the passenger seat. The positive cable from battery to solenoid. I will be cutting it to install a maxi fuse so better to be a little on the long side.
Gary

loose_electron

Donation Time
Suggest that you run and feed the cable, starting with something known to be too long, and then trim to fit in place. I hid my in line fuse underneath the car, so you only knows it exists if the car is up in the air and you are looking around.

90days

Donation Time
The positive battery cable that was removed from my Series V is 9’8”or 116”long. This was from the battery box to, I’m assuming to the starter solenoid. Hope this helps.

chimpodunker

Donation Time
Thanks. That helps a lot. I'll order one a couple feet longer and cut it to fit with a maxi fuse. Do you know the wire gauge?

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I get my heavy duty battery cables from a local shop that installs custom gigantic sound systems in cars, trucks, etc. The price is better buying from them than any auto parts store and they even fit the cable ends for me.

john.hemsath

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had to replace my "+" cable shortly after purchasing my SV because the existing cable arced at the hole leaving the battery storage area.
The grommet for that hole was missing so the cable rubbed against raw metal until the wire was exposed.
During the arcing, the cable insulation caught on fire! Yowza. Luckily I was able to put out the fire without damage to the car.
Be sure to replace the grommets at all three holes where the wire passes as you replace the cable.
ACE hardware had exactly what was needed for the job.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sorry for not getting back sooner! You have some answers!

Mine (removed from a SV) came to a few inches (2 1/2 ) less that the 10'.....

Maybe add an extra foot to have plenty to play with,

90days

Donation Time
My original cable looks to be around 2 gauge or even 4 gauge? It’s not 1 gauge for sure. Most aftermarket relocation kits offer 1 or 2 gauge cables. The size depends on your current draw and the total length of your cable. I plan on using 2 gauge cable when I relocate my battery to the trunk. If you’re unsure, 1 gauge may be an over kill, but you will not have any issued cranking your engine. I would check with the other members to see what they are using and recommend. I’m sure someone will respond with some more information on the cable size they used.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
We got our Cable from a company in Louisville KY batteries plus or something like that , used 1.0 made it up on the car was half the price as the local parts store we got multi strand which was flexiable.

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
I purchased my battery cable from a welding supply company. #4 Flex-A-Prene (brand name) and soldered as well as crimped the eye end of the cable and used the single bolt type end for the battery end. I have used welding cable before and it is flexible and capable of carrying way more current than we need, but it is more efficient than normal battery cable. Just my experience.

loose_electron

Donation Time
One comment about crimping connectors onto these heavy battery cables.

You must use a hydraulic crimper and the appropriate size die for the cable and connector. They hydraulic crimpers (and a full set of crimping dies) are about $40 on EBay and do an excellent job.

If you try smashing the connector in a vise, or with vice grips or something else it is NOT going to work properly.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html

65beam

Donation Time
I had a 12 foot #4 cable for the RHD car made today at O'reillly auto parts. I had one connector installed for the solenoid. They crimp the cable ends. It's long for an Alpine but I can cut it once I'm ready to hook it to my disconnect switch at the battery. They stock various gauge of cable and ends. Cost was $31.00 and the cable is very flexible.

Last edited:

loose_electron

Donation Time
Properly Crimp. Do not solder.

This is a common mistake people have, they think it's smart to crimp and solder.

No.

Crimp only. This advice is as per the procedural recommendations of both NASA and USAF wiring standards. (and others)

When you solder a stranded wire into a connector the wicking of solder into the wire strands creates a brittle mechanical junction that repetitive flexing will break. A properly crimped wire will bend and flex with greater life than a soldered wire.

Billm

Gold Level Sponsor
I replaced my battery cables with cables from Battery Cables USA. Ordered up the length and size and received them in 4 days. The company is located in Kentucky.